Medical Bills on Credit Report

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Robert Woh, May 15, 2000.

1. Robert Woh

Robert Woh Guest

A lawyer sent me to his doctor friend to treat my injuries from a slip and fall accident caused by a broken water main in a movie theater. The accident was legitimate, the injury was real but possibly the doctor exagerrated the extent. In any case, in a tape recorded session with the insurance adjustor my lawyer's paralegal advised me to tell the adjustor that I had found the doctor totally on my own. He said this was tactical, that it was likely that they were going to settle immediately (as other people had also been injured). The accident was more than 2 years ago and only today I received a bill from the doctor and I'm worried because I thought I had a 'letter of protection' and I don't want the doctor to put anything adverse on my credit report. Frankly, I didn't feel good about my lawyer from the get-go (his office is very low budget and he strikes me as incompetent) but he was referred to me by a paralegal at a big-name law firm who assured me this was a routine 5-figure case that their office was too busy to take (my lawyer used to be with them). Without taking up any more space, there is alot of mistrust and lack of confidence on my part towards my lawyer. Unreturned phone calls, standing me up for an appointment, and just the general feeling that he bungled what should have been an easy case makes me worried and afraid for my legal rights. Could I go to jail for lying to the adjustor? I am not a college graduate, I work in a menial job, but I am reasonably intelligent and know that something is not right. I just got off the phone with his office after contacting the state bar association in a last ditch effort to salvage my relationship and my case. His paralegal said that he doesn't know why the doctor sent me the bill, but don't worry about it, he'll take care of it. He also said that they were very confident about my case, to have patience and confidence in them. I don't know what to do. I worked so hard on repairing my credit after years of hell like you wouldn't believe which has already given me gray hairs and I'm not even 30 yet. The last thing I need is for a my lawyer's doctor friend to turn against me and come after me by ruining my credit. I am working non stop, over time trying to save for a house and I don't want to buy a house only for them to take it away or put a lien on it. Does anyone have any advice?

2. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

RE: Medical Bills on Credit Re

Yeah, watch your back cause insurance fraud and perjury are felonies. If I were you, I'd be more worried about the outcome of the case and the legal ramifications of being involved in an possible insurance fraud ring than the doctor's bill. Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place.

Btw, which insurance company is this?

3. Kathie

Kathie Guest

RE: Medical Bills on Credit Re

Unfortunately, a law degree for some is a lisence to steal. You would be wise to get a second opinion from an attorney that "is reputable" regarding your case and whether you have exposure from his advice. You didn't say whether your remarks were under oath in a deposition or if just in the context of filling out a form. In either case you need some good advice from here on in, worrying about what you don't know is worse than dealing with the facts.

4. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

Insurance Fraud

He said he lied during a taped recording session. Knowingly presenting false information in connection with an insurance claim is a felony (in my state and I imagine most others). Recorded statements are most usually taken under penalty of perjury (if the adjuster/investigator knows what they are doing), hence the second charge.

I've heard so many people say that such remarks during taped statments "don't count" towards potential criminal charges. Well, its too bad the people who thought that very same thing can't respond here to prove otherwise, but they are serving time. I know this because I helped put them there.

The reality is that insurance companies won't usually bother prosecuting a single instance of fraud where the dollar amount is low. They cut their losses and may just ask for reimbursment for claim costs. But if they stumble on a "mill" operation, they will pass it on the state insurance fraud units. Then it gets ugly.

The original poster may be lucky and may get out of this learning a valuable lesson. He should RUN to another attorney and come clean before the thing goes any further.