Membership Banking & Chexs

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by river, Nov 11, 2000.

1. river

river Well-Known Member

I've been reading a few post about chexsystems and bank acc'ts. Justa thought. If you have a amex card(rather it be secure or unsecure),don't you think that you could open checking acc't. I noticed when you fill out info online that it asks if you have acc't and if so provide acc't no. and so on.... Just wonder if n e 1 has tried for checking acc't w/ MembershipB@nking if you have credit card acc't even though you may be on chexsystems list. I would think it would be worth a try for some of those that are wanting a checking acc't,but only if you already have some type of credit or charge card thru them. Please post any results.

2. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Why do people Want Centurion B

What's so special about them? They don't have good terms. They don't offer any special perks. They don't have good interest rates. They don't offer Visa or Mastercard Check cards obviously. Nor do they offer Optima Check cards. Netbank offers better terms!

What is the great need to have an American Express Checking account? Are the checks gold plated? I have my 401K account with them, and they are cool, but nothing to write home about.

3. river

river Well-Known Member

RE: Why do people Want Centuri

I opened the interest checking acc't. Interst is compatible with other banks. Free checks and I'm not even a senior citizen. Four ATM transactions per month,free.Monthly mantinance fee is 7.50,oppose to me BofA monthly fee of 10.00. I guess it is really an individuals personal prefrence where they choose to bank. By the way,have you recieved your secure Optima yet? Oh, I forgot your previous post stated that you were waiting address verification. Hope everything goes along smoothly with your transition with AMEX.And you might want to consider opening an interest checking acc't once you recieve your card.Can't hurt to build a relationship with a reputable company.

4. Carrot

Carrot Guest

I think people are opening accounts in anticipation of AMEX's new secured card.

5. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

Why do you pay a monthly fee for a checking account?
    Also, there are plenty of banks that allow unlimited ATM transactions at their ATMs.

http://www.creditsense.com

6. river

river Well-Known Member

Why pay monthly checking fees? I haven't gotten anything FREE from a bank. Guessing that I'm either not old enough for anything free yet or not wealthy enough to maintain an "average daily balance of $5,000". And far as ATM goes,you're correct only if you use the designated ATM for that bank,but Amex has free ATM (no fee per access) at any machine. I think up to 4 transctions per month.Could you share with the board any banks that you know of that have "No Monthly Fees" or "No Hidden Fees" for the average person that is building or re-building their credit profile, other than x.com. We all seen what happened there!!!!!! I would not feel comfortable with some "off the wall" bank like x.com and others like it.

7. Eboni

Eboni Guest

Try Netbank.

They offer no fee checking with 3% interest, no minimum. I'm 24 and I have all the perks.
    I was also lucky enough to sign of with Wingspanbank as one of their first few customers. I pay nothing on my checking. No minimum and I earn interest. I can use all of the BankOne ATM's for free!!! Totally free!! And if I use another banks ATM that charges me I get reimbursed up to $5 a month.

The CEnturion Bank Terms are not that great at all. I looked and was thinking of opening an account since I have my 401K with them, but there was no point. They could beat any deal I have and hell my local banks do even better then them. They charge $7.50 a month unless you have 2500 in your checking account and only give you 2% interest. Or you can earn no interest and maintain 1K and not pay the $7.50 a month.

Unless your a major high roller this account is not for you. Keeping that kind of money in a Checking account is just plain dumb. You can opening a money market with 6% interest at Netbank with $100.

Think it over. Sure it would be cool to bank with AMEX and people would be impressed. But I pay all my bills online and use my VISA checkcard at the stores. AMEX doesn't offer an Optima Checkcard.

8. Dario G

Dario G Guest

I doubt that it has anything to do with a secured card. If you remember a while back American Express offered an Optima Secured card, but they stopped it for some reason. Also they currently offer prepaid cards, almost like that new visa buxx card.