Merrick Bank

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by KevPochop, Dec 5, 2003.

1. KevPochop

KevPochop Well-Known Member

I got a pre approved account with Merrick Bank. I have no derogatory credit what so ever. I charged up $845, out of a $900 credit limit on the account and got my first statement with a payment of $27.00 due.

I immediately paid the $27.00. I later found out that ALL payments, regardless of the dollar size, including my $27.00 payment, has a 10 day hold.

That can be really irritating. I have an account with BankFirst. Any payments over $200.00 has a 10 day hold. I can't see how a $27.00 payment should have a 10 day hold. STUPID!

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

They don't need ANY HOLD...but they with the GOLD...

I does NOT take the check longer than 5 days (IN MOST CASES) to be at your bank and charged to your checking account!!!

3. bev3180

bev3180 Active Member

It gets worse. I just realized the 10 day hold applies to any electronic payments from their website. That money is withdrawn from your account within 24 hours.

4. scorpio07

scorpio07 Well-Known Member

This is also the policy of sears if you make more then 2 payments in a billing period they place a 10 day hold on the funds. It really is a pain I am hoping citibank will change this policy in the future.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Merrick Bank

EFT'S DON'T BOUNCE--A "HOLD" THAT IS IN-EXCESS OF 24 HOURS IS ILLOGICAL!!!

6. Brad J

Brad J Well-Known Member

That sucks. CCB was infamous for this, but that only applied to payments $300 and over, NOT $27, outrageous!

7. Brad J

Brad J Well-Known Member

That sucks. CCB was infamous for this, but that only applied to payments $300 and over, NOT $27, outrageous!

8. dman4384

dman4384 Active Member

I have the same problem with these ninnies.

When I called about it, they responded with "well all you have to do is use western union" or some crap.

WTF would I use western union???

I keep the card because its a positive tl and it seems like once I got 4 cc's my fico was boosted, but once I get a 5th this puppy is history.

9. christo124

christo124 Member

I have had the Merrick Bank card for about a year now. I noticed the same thing with them holding payments. However they did it with me for about the first 4 or 5 payments and now they apply the payment immediately.

10. janniebeez

janniebeez Member

How good of a card is this and how easy is it to get? I know it is a secured card. Are you guaranteed a card with your deposit? Do they give you CL increases without you asking for them and lastly, do they give you back your security after a period of time in good standing?

11. bigmon

bigmon Well-Known Member

Jannie,

I've always known Merrick to be unsecured.

12. kit

kit Well-Known Member

it is unsecured if you get the pre-approved offer in the mail, otherwise you have to go with one of their pre-paid cards (not recommended).

13. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

1*ALL payments, regardless of the dollar size, including my $27.00 payment, has a 10 day hold.
    2*Any payments over $200.00 has a 10 day hold.
    3*I can't see how a $27.00 payment should have a 10 day hold.
    4*STUPID!
    5*It does NOT take the check longer than 5 days (IN MOST CASES) to be at your bank and charged to your checking account!!!
    6*The hold applies to any electronic payments from their website. That money is withdrawn from your account within 24 hours.
    7*This is also the policy of sears if you make more then 2 payments in a billing period they place a 10 day hold on the funds. It really is a pain
    8*I am hoping citibank will change this policy in the future.
    9*EFT'S DON'T BOUNCE--A "HOLD" THAT IS IN-EXCESS OF 24 HOURS IS ILLOGICAL!!!
    10*That sucks. CCB was infamous for this, but that only applied to payments $300 and over, NOT $27, outrageous!
    11*, they responded with "well all you have to do is use western union.
    12*However they did it with me for about the first 4 or 5 payments and
    13*now they apply the payment immediately.
    ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    4* Not only is 1* 2* & 3* Stupid it's also illegal.
    5*The law says payments have to be credited on the day the payment is received not when check etc. clears etc.
    6*The law still says the payment must be credited on receipt not 24 hours later or when ever the money is withdrawn from your account!
    7*It's also violating the law.
    8*Nope: they need to stop violating the law now.
    9*Any"HOLD" THAT IS IN-EXCESS OF 24 HOURS Is not legal !!!
    10*What's outrageous! is they're breaking the law with this to bilk late fees jacked rates and over limit fees.
    11* The law regarding crediting of payments is not dependent upon western union.
    12*
    13*now they apply the payment immediately. Which is what the law requires.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""