Mimi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not sure if the domestic abuse will help you with your loans... however, while you're dealing with the loans...

You may do a quick restart with all your credit. Since you have proof of domestic violence, go to your local SS office and apply for a new ssn. they have to give it to you.

It used to be that you had to prove ssn fraud connected with domestic abuse. Now, the abuse is all you need to prove, they'll assume there can be ssn abuse / or tracking of you with your old ssn.

I think I also confirmed this on their website. Anyway, even if the issues are separate regarding your loans, you can legally have a fresh start with your credit. If I were you, I'd see if you could just keep paying on your old student loans with your old number and keep the new number separate.

the big thing in keeping your files from combining is to use different information (addresses, creditors, banks). However, since you'll be issued a new ssn because of domestic violence, I think even if the files did combine you could have them separated (otherwise, the person who abused you could track you again).

hope this helps.