Mnba

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tom65432, Jul 31, 2001.

1. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

I got a nice letter from MNBA today telling me that they are going to increase my interest rate to 22.9% from the existing 13.99%. I am always on time and have been a good customer. I have to write them to decline their "offer" and if I do decline, I can no longer use their card.

I guess this is my reward for being a good customer.

2. Hope

Hope Well-Known Member

Bastards!!!!!

3. chriscraft

chriscraft Well-Known Member

And these damned idiotic card issuers wonder why there are so many consumer defaults ... they help to precipitate them by increasing their interest rates to ridiculous high percentages. Greedy buggers!!!

4. JacquiG

JacquiG Well-Known Member

FWIW, I received a similar letter after my first year with them. I was really choking on the thought of paying almost 20% for a platinum card, so I finally called to cancel (this was before I knew that you could request lower rates or limit increases). The rep transferred me to what I guess was retention, and they brought it back down to within one point of what I was already paying.

They've been wonderful since then. Have you tried calling them?

p.s. Hope - that's funny!! Exactly what I called them

5. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

I have not called them yet. Just got the letter.

6. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

Tom,

I got the same notice from them. I called and got absolutely nowhere. I sent them a letter via Planet Feedback noting that I had been an excellent customer for many years, never a late payment, etc.. I also immediately transferred the balance to another account. In my letter I noted precisely how much money they lost with their greed.

Fifteen minutes ago I received a phone call from the CEO's office restoring the account to the original interest rate.

Try Planet Feedback. Good luck.

7. Marypc

Marypc Well-Known Member

Yup, same thing happened to me. I complained to PFB. I got a rep who agreed to lower it to match my other MBNA card, which is 17.99. They told me it was because of the amount of debt I am currently carrying (AU on two of hubby's high balance cards.) I told them it was ridiculous, and they advised that was the best they could do. (Gave me some lame excuse that they dont review these cards on an annual basis, so it just came up.) I transferred the balance too, but am keeping the card as it is an older tradeline. The rep I got was pretty nice, but a few days ago I noticed that the conversation we had cost me a hard inquiry!! I wrote PFB again, no response yet, and it has been 3 days. Once that account ages, buh bye MBNA!

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

FIRST USA DID THE SAME TO ME...22.49% from about 10%...for some unknown reason...they closed the account...I got to pay at old rate...BUT THAT IS MEAN!!!!!

IF EVERYBODY GETS THE SAME THING...AND EVERYBODY "OPTS-OUT", THEY AIN'T GOING TO HAVE ANY CUSTOMERS LEFT!!!!!!!!

9. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

'

that is what needs to happen.

10. poobybear

poobybear Well-Known Member

I agree with you guys, MBNA is tricky and that is why I don't carry a balance with them anymore. They will one day be only a memory to me, and I am looking forward to writing that letter.