Momof3 - AMEX - TELL US!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Apr 6, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

OK Mom - Please answer these 2 questions directly. :)

1. Have you noticed better respect and treatment from merchants when you hand them the Green Card v a Visa/MC?

2. Do you agree that the $55 fee and $40 membership rewards
    is already worth the Card membership?

You know how I appreciate and use my AMEX Personal Card.
    After having it, it seems so stupid I ever paid interest or carried bullshit balances on my Visa/MC cards.

I'm sure Platinum Jason @ AMEX would love to see your response.

Jason, that Platinum Card sure looks nice. I bet you friggin love it.

c yal dogman

2. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

yeah you don't pay interest but... have to pay the balance in full every month.
    what's the big deal with this card ?. 55 +40 anual fee??

3. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Hi Dogman..I just got a green card (I posted about it a couple weeks ago). I never expected to actually get it and I am still excited! I have not noticed a difference in how I am treated by merchants at all, but I do love the benefits and definitely find the fees to be worth the money. (I only recently received the card but have used it quite a bit already!!) I have used many of the deals that are available to Amex card members on the website and the savings with those alone make it worth my while. Now if I could find a way to pay my rent with the card I could really stack up those points! The customer service people are wonderful. I look forward to building my relationship with Amex and hopefully can get the gold card in the future. I'm too chicken to apply now and don't wanna push my luck. :)

4. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Geo- for me it is worth it for several reasons. If I use a "regular" credit card I may promise myself that I will pay it off monthly, but when that statement comes, it is just too tempting to let the balance sit a few months and of course then I am paying exorbitant interest. Also, there are many nice benefits that come with the card for just the one time fee(s)...price protection, extended warrantees on items, private payments (unique one time use cc # for online purchases), the rewards program etc. Plus I am also completely confident that if I ever have a problem with a merchant that Amex will take care of me. Those are just the reasons I find valuable. I am sure there are other benefits I am overlooking. :)

5. Jason-AMEX

Jason-AMEX Guest

Het Dogman,
    Yes, I am loving the Platinum look. I look at my Gold card and it is dull--the platinum is much cooler looking. I wonder when we go to NY in June if the hotel, restuarant, car rental, etc, etc. people will ask for ID because they will look at me (26 years old) and think--you stole this card 'cause you are too young to have it!

Not much response here at home 'cause 've only been able to use it at fast food, retail, and other every day shopping stores and I think that most of the teenagers who run the 'till have no idea what the AMEX platinum charge card is. I need to use it at a place where the clerks are older and people who have platinum shop as well--like at restuarants, hotels, car rentals, and so forth.

I will tell you that the package it comes in is cool!! It comes in a stiff, cardboard folder that folds open and th ecard is in a clear sleeve. The benefits book is THICK and is silver with a glossy finish. The CM agreement and other papers are nice looking. They cut no corners on the mailer!! It costs them $1.34 to mail it it is so heavy!! Totally unlike your typical credit card sleeve that is one piece of paper that folds open and your card falls out of the slots.

6. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Jason- Question for you

Hi Jason...I have a quick question. After I have my green card a while, would I be able to upgrade it to a gold card, or do I have to apply separately? Thanks!

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Centurion Card

I bet that comes nicely presented.

Somebody said that there was a guy in line at Home Depot
    that pulled out the Black Card. She said to him that he must have millions.

He replied that he did.

:)

8. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

AMEX cards

Hi Dogman, I recently used my newly acquired Optima Platinum card to buy some office supplies and the CSR did have a look of amazement when she looked at the card before swiping it. Maybe she confused this card with the Platinum charge card which was really cool. I'll probably go for the Platinum charge in a year or two after my recent inquiries fall off.

Does anyone know the difference between the Gold card and the Rewards Plus Gold card when it comes to Membership Rewards? Do you get 2 points for every dollar during the first year with Rewards Plus? How many points do you get after the first year? If you include Optima Platinum in the Rewards Plus account, do you get the same number of rewards points every time you use this card?

Thanks.

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey Dog

Actually I haven't noticed being treated any different, keep in mind though I have only used it at Walmart, Blockbuster video and the DMV LOL.

Going through the membership package I believe it is worth it, so far I have free ISP (thanks MP) and I think the rewards are truly worth it. Saar has posted many perks to being a member and I will use these perks to my full advantage.

Keep in touch Dog

Mom:)

10. LoFico

LoFico Well-Known Member

Re: Hey Dog

hey guys, how hard is this the base model amex card to get? Any idea of credit score requirements and do they allow any negs on report. i only have a visa and mc thru premier so far, but i'm working towards more. thanks for any reply!

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

MIKE

Yup - I'd be pleased to pull out Optima Platinum.
    It looks great!

c ya dogman

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

DMV?

I love it - exclusivity for Cardmembers. I wonder if CA
    DMV would let me pay registration on AMEX?

Thanks Mom :)

13. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Home Depot?

I'm cracking up! As time goes on....the story starts to vary. I love it! It's like the telephone game. Next thing will be that Jerry Seinfeld put me on as AU on his Am/Ex Black! LOL....

I bet you this card probably comes hand delivered by an actual Am/Ex rep!

I'm taking credit for this post til the day I die! Hey, maybe I should see if Am/Ex would make a commercial out of my experience???? HA! Wouldn't that be something....

-----------------------------------------------------

Author: MP$40 (worf1.qntm.com)
    Date: 02-28-01 13:02

There was a post on this board about the Am/Ex Black story and that was posted by ME! :)

Here's what I said:

"Absolutely breathtaking! I acually saw a person standing in line in front of me w/ this card at a shop in Vegas. I was blown away! I was like, gee.....you must have millions to have THAT card! He replied, uh.....yes I do as a matter of fact!"

14. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Re: Home Depot?

I had a 670 fico when I was approved recently. :)

15. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Lizard

Remember - they overlooked a 1996 Chap 13 because it was due to HIV costs. They understood completely - and saw I had never been late with a payment EVER in 20 yrs.

My score at the time 07/00 - I think was about 600.
    BUT my income was quite respectable.

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

MP$40 LOL

Oh - I guess that's where I heard it. Home Depot in Vegas maybe? The one attached to the Mirage? LOL

This is why this CARD is ALREADY A LEGEND!
    Hand delivered personally by Amex Reps! I love it.

MP - knowing how well AMEX markets, they would have gay Amex Reps delivering to the Castro - you get the idea LOL

17. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Dog....

YOu are way too funny! :-D

18. Saar

Saar Banned

Re: Dog....

Dog,

The Mirage in Vegas? That's where I stayed! Had the best time of my life (but resisted temptation & didn't gamble).

Saar

19. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Confessions Saar!

Now I know you are interested in a certain type of upscale style :)