Monogram Bank/Exxon run around

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jonesing, May 7, 2001.

1. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

Early last month I got copies of my 3 credit reports and noticed something odd. There were several AR inquiries and one or two hard inquiries for Exxon. I have never had an Exxon card! So I called the cs line and the rep I spoke with could not find anything under my SSN and told me to send a letter requesting the information be deleted. So I did that. Today I get a letter saying they got my request but they want me to send verification of the account information including copies of my reports so they can research it! WTF!?! I already sent that stuff the first time! grrrrrrrr

2. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

Did you by chance have a Mobil card? They merged. My Mobil card went from having no limit, where I always charged btwn 200-300 a month for gas to having a $80.00 limit. This was 3 months ago. Now suddenly my limit has been reduced to $75.00. I'm really ticked at them. I refuse to buy their gas anymore so they just lost out on a good amount of business.

3. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

hmmm I did indeed have a Mobil card many many years ago. I closed it with a $0 balance and it has since dropped off my credit report. I wonder if that is it? The AR inquires date back to September 1999 on and off. There was even a time where they did an AR review twice within a week!

4. mj

mj Well-Known Member

I had a Mobil card since '85. They NEVER did any kind of soft or hard inquiries on me. They never reported either.

GE/Monogram sent me a pre-approved Exxon - and did monthly soft inquiries as well as reported monthly. Then they merged and I had 2 accounts - so I closed 'em both and hapilly collect my rebates from Chase/Shell now.

-mj

5. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Re: Mobil Card - Anyone Notice??

I have had my Mobil since 1990. Things have been a pain since MCCBG took them over. My c/l went from $800 down to $200. It is very easy to go over your limit. To top it off has anyone noticed that Mobil accounts are now reported on your credit reports?

It is a good thing for those that want to see gas cards reported, but what effect does this have if you go over your limit now that Monogram has cut back limits? I also hold an Amoco and Shell (my Amoco has a $600 purchase limit). I now find myself avoiding Mobil because I come real close to hitting my limit. I think Mobil is going to lose a lot of good customers. $75.00 c/l's what a joke! Very bad when gas prices are so high.

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WITH 3 DRIVER'S NOW I SPEND $75.00/WEEK SOMETIMES (I DUMPED MY UNION 76, SHELL, TEXACO AND STANDARD WHEN THEY ALL STARTED TAKING VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICANEXPRESS, AND DISCOVERCARD.

THEY KNOW $75.00 IS A JOKE, DON'T THEY...HAVE YOU SENT THEM A LETTER OR CALLED?

7. mj

mj Well-Known Member

My Mobil (I think all Mobil accounts) had a "limit" per se- anything over $500 was due in full, plus 20% of what was under $500.

A few times over the years I did go over the $500- they were always nice about it over the phone (you know you must pay ..$ when you receive your bill...).

Exxon initially started me with a $750 and increased to $1k before I closed it.

Who wants to worry about limits on a card with 22% interest???

Seriously - Shell & Chase have the right idea - that is the only card I use for gas, and because the rates aren't too onerous, they get some finance charge money since I do revolve from time to time on the "other stuff" I use the card for.

That's one of the reasons I RESPECT Chase & Shell -- they have a great deal where you never pay finance charges on gas- as long as you pay off your new gas charges (the amount is listed on the statement). Now that's FAIR business - - and, it lets me use the card for both gas & "other stuff" without feeling guilty that I might revolve & pay interest on gas (big no-no- never pay finance charges or revolve every-day expenses).

-mj

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SHELL...the gas is payable in full w/o interest, even if you don't pay the rest of the bill in full???

THAT'S AMAZING THAT THEY LET YOU DO THAT.

9. Maer

Maer Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree!!!!

I have been a Mobil customer for years and usually bought well over $300.00 a month in gas (2 drivers). I don't believe I ever had the option of making payments. Mine was always paid in full.

Suddenly Monogram takes over and I have a 75.00 limit. I wasn't even advised of this. I went to fill up one day and it was denied. I was fortunate to have other cards on me or I really could have been in a pickle.

I called them to find out why it was denied and was told about my limit. The rep was soooo rude. She told me since merging with Exxon they now use Monogram which gave everybody limits and would I like her to cancel the card!!!!! I couldn't believe it. At that point I had said absolutely nothing about wanting to cancel. Anyway, I said no, knowing it wouldn't look good for me. Paid my balance off as usual and have never used MOBIL or EXXON again and never will!!!!

I'll keep my Mobil account open and I may resort to charging 2.00 - 3.00 worth of gas every couple of months just to keep up activity and hopefully piss them off.

I strongly believe they totally screwed themselves on this one.

10. Concerned

Concerned Well-Known Member

I actually just got an Exxon in the mail a couple of days ago. $250 is the limit. Annoying. I picked them because I had strong evidence they would pull experian, my best report. They did. $250?? Come on the gas has hit $2.00 where I fill up. I probably don't use 250 dollars in a month but with them reporting and everything, my available credit to balances are going to be in the toilet. Lovely.