More advice please

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by sl3966, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. sl3966

    sl3966 Member


    I have a question that I hope someone here can answer for me. I just got back to the states from overseas in march and I moved to Maryland. We (the wife and I) had a Comcast account at our apt but we had to move since it was a bad neighborhood. Well, we moved and called Comcast and had them transfer our service to the new place and they told us they don't have the address in the system so they have to do a survey to give us service here and that they will call me with the results. They also told me to keep the cable box untill they called.

    Needless to say they never called and I got a letter from a collection agency (CMI) last week saying I owed them 847.45 for 3 cable boxes and 2 cable modems. Problem is I have only gotten one box from comcast and I bought my own modem. I called comcast about it and they show my account as having a balance of 3.12 which I paid over the phone. Now the CA called me and said if I don't pay them or send something from comcast by the 22nd they are going to list it on my report. I don't know if anyone remembers my last post but I am trying to get a clearance and I don't need this right now. I guess what are my options if they list this account even if they know I paid it and I never owned what they said I did the woman on the phone wouldn't give me her Fax number and she also said they wont sign for CRRR. Sounds fishy to me so anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

  2. connorw

    connorw Well-Known Member

    I'd call Comcast back. If they say that all you owe them was the $3.12 you paid, I'd ask them to contact the CA and call them off. Comcast, at least the part that was AT&T Broadband has had major billing problems since August of 2002, see below, so it's very possible that they contacted the CA in error.

    Personally I have ZERO faith in Comcast's billing department. I have them, used to be AT&T Broadband for my phone and they have screwed up by bill since August of 2002.

    I've been told when talking to Comcast billing people to always ask for "Escalations" when it's not a normal billing question. I was told that that will get you a supervisor, who you then say you want to speak to "Escalations" and they'll transfer you. I was told they have no choice ... basically because of the billing problems since the bought up AT&T Broadband. I don't know if this applies to non-former AT&T Broadband customers or not. But it it helps you, great.

    Hopefully you can get them to better by you!
  3. lbrown59

    lbrown59 Well-Known Member

    1*she Said they wont sign for CRRR.
    2*CA called me and said if I don't pay them or send something from comcast by the 22nd they are going to list it on my report
    1*That's good for you then.
    2*Better send them this before they report it then.
    Here is the Validation Letter you want to send by CRRR.
    Don't make any changes on it and don't hand sign it.

    Your Name
    City State Zip

    City State Zip


    RE: Account #_________/Original Creditorâ??s Name

    Dear Sir/Madame:

    Thank you for your recent inquiry. This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is being disputed. This is a request for validation made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Please complete and return the attached disclosure request form.

    Be advised that I am not requesting a "verification" that you have my mailing address, I am requesting a "validation;" that is, competent evidence that I have some contractual obligation to pay you.

    You should also be aware that sending unsubstantiated demands for payment through the United States Mail System might constitute mail fraud under federal and state law. You may wish to consult with a competent legal advisor before your next communication with me.

    Your failure to satisfy this request within the requirements of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act will be construed as your absolute waiver of any and all claims against me, and your tacit agreement to compensate me for costs and attorney fees.


    Your Name don't sign

    - - - Include the following on a separate sheet of paper - - -


    Name and Address of Collector (assignee): _________________________

    Name and Address of Debtor: ____________________________________

    Account Number(s): ____________________________________________

    What are the terms of assignment for this account? You may attach a facsimile of any records relating to such terms.

    Have any insurance claims been made by any creditor or assignee regarding this account? YES/NO

    Has the purported balanced of this account been used in any tax deduction claim? YES/NO

    Please list the particular products or services sold by the collector to the debtor and the dollar amount of each:

    Upon failure or refusal of collector to validate this collection action, collector agrees to waive all claims against the debtor named herein and pay debtor for all costs and attorney fees involved in defending this collection action.

    Authorized signature for Collector


    Please return this completed form and attach all assignment or other transfer agreements that would establish your right to collect this debt. Your claim cannot be considered if any portion of this form is not completed and returned with the required documents. This is a request for validation made pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If you do not respond as required by this law, your claim will not be considered and you may be liable for damages for continued collection efforts.

    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
  4. lbrown59

    lbrown59 Well-Known Member

    I'd call Comcast back.
    Not me: No way am I going to help an OC assist a CA in pinning something on me.
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
  5. pd11604

    pd11604 Well-Known Member

    Sent Validation letter as lbrown59 suggests by certified mail, also send it by regular mail.

    Here is a trick you can use.... on the outside of the envelope you send to the CA by regular mail...put a notation like "ATTENTION - ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE"

    This way the CA thinks they are getting a payment from someone (be sure to use a return address on the envelope that is different from your home address...maybe work, or a friend/relative?)

    If you send this by regular mail get delivery confirmation or certificate of mailing from the PO, (cheaper than CMRRR but at least it gives you some evidence that you mailed it)

    If they don't sign for certified mail, no will have evidence that they received the letter because for sure they will open up mail when they think there is a check inside!
  6. lbrown59

    lbrown59 Well-Known Member

    *CA said if I don't send something from comcast by the 22nd they are going to list it on my report
    They have to get it from comcast , you don't!

    THE END ** *** ** LB 59

Share This Page