More info.Needs Discussed on the Bd

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lbrown59, Apr 30, 2001.

1. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Most issues I read here deal with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and CRAs or the Fair Debt Collection Act & Collectors.

Other topics that need addressed are The Fair Billing Act, the Truth in Lending Act and the Deceptive or Misleading Advertising Act.

Many of the problems discussed on this board are a direct result of (1) Violations of these acts (2) Weaknesses in the acts and (3) consumers not knowing their rights under these Laws.

Why not start here to prevent spilling the milk instead of waiting until it gets to collectors and CRA's where we have to mop it up?

What is your take on this - any input?

2. CYA

CYA Well-Known Member

Good idea, the more ammo the better.

I have seen the "failure to bill" or "sent to wrong address" or "change of address card filled out, not processed." These things are hard for them to prove, plus I believe, in addition, it is part of FDCP or FRCA (I don't remember which one). I know it is a part of FCBA.

I have actually used this one for removal of a late payment, there is no way they can "verify" that you received a bill (return receipt-for a bill??? I don't think so).

3. lbrown59

4. lbrown59

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ```````````````````````````````````````````
    CYA-Did you see the post by AUX & myself under the
    VERISON Topic today?
    Now You See Why I Started This Topic:

5. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

BUMP------->>>>>>

Just making sure everyone gets to read this...!!

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Good idea!!

Where are these laws spelled out? I don't recall reading them (I'm embarrassed to admit).

breeze

7. lbrown59

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don't recall where you can find them just now.
    I owned a moble home sales lot before retiring.
    I had to comply with these laws as well as landlord tenant laws or else my A would be in hot water if I violated any of them.
    You might check your public Lib.for more Info.
    Sincerely,
    LBrown59
    P S
    Except for the landlord tenant laws
    These laws apply to all businesses -not just M.H. Dealers!

8. lbrown59

I have a gas bill a phone bill and a credit card bill:
    All three of these accounts are full of billing errors:

All 3 of these companys ignore every dispute i give to them :

This is very frustrating !

Any body have any ideas on how to fight this?

9. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

I agree. Empowerment comes through knowledge.

Mike G.

10. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

http://www.arentfox.com/quickguide/...dvertisingrelatedarticles/brochures/fcba.html FAIR BILLING ACT

http://www.smartagreements.com/bltopics/Bltopi41.html TRUTH IN LENDING ACT

http://www.courts.state.ny.us/tandv/appcps.htm Deceptive or Misleading Advertising Act. FROM NEW YORK
    I just did a search for those terms. Everyone READ-UP!!!

11. lbrown59

Any ideas any one?

12. bbauer

bbauer Banned

You basically have two avenues of approach to this type of problem.

When it comes to the gas bill and the other one, you should file complaint with the regulatory agency in your state.
    Some states call it the Corporation Commission, others may call it the Utilities Board, others may have other names.
    You can find out the correct agency to complain to by calling the information number for the State Capitol building and asking them who is the regulatory agency in your state. Even the phone company information number should be able to provide you with the name and phone number for the agency that regulates public utilities in your state.
    You can also file complaint with the Better Business Bureau on line. I would file complaints with both.

With the credit card company, I would file complaint with the Better Business Bureau on line and let them answer the complaint.