More Student Loans

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by glenn, Apr 24, 2001.

1. glenn

glenn Member

All,
    I've just started looking into this, and I'd like to thank everyone who has posted for the great information that I've found just by lurking.

I just applied for a mortage to get out of a suddenly-scary neighborhood now that we have a child .

My "only", but quite significant credit problem, according to my CU is that I was late on my student loans (to USA Group, now Sallie Mae) a couple of years ago. I did a chapter 7 about 9 years ago too, which isn't hurting too much but sure isn't helping.

I had 14 loans all paid by one payment, so by being late one time on one (big) payment (the report says >90 days, but on the phone they tell me 83 days) I've managed to get 14 lates on my credit report!
    Isn't it amazing that I should have just defaulted and rehabed - that would look BETTER ON MY REPORT! But instead I got a deferment that broght my payments up to date and started paying like a good little boy.

Anyway, the nice part is that my loans were just consolitated.I see that Roni, and perhaps others, have removed more significant student problems from their reports.

Does know of any spectaculary efficient tactics to pursue with student loans?

Thanks