mortgage and fico

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by k, Mar 16, 2001.

1. k

k Guest

with a credit score of about 640, is it possible to get a 3-percent down loan? does anyone know of websites where you can type in your score and they can tell you what kind of loan you can get.
    thanks

2. me

me Well-Known Member

I doubt it.. I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who will finance you with 10%... But if you have extenuating circumstances, you may be able to explain your situation sufficiently to get a lower down payment..

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I disagree

If you score is 640, then yes you can get a loan with 3% down, but you would have to go through an FHA mortgage.

4. k

k Guest

r u sure? ive read where if you at least have a 620, you can get 5 percent down loan.

5. k

k Guest

thanks momo. though i dont think i can get the house i want with an fha because of the loan limit ofthe county i live in

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Yes K FHA is a little more relaxed about your FICO score, my friends received a FHA loan with 3% down, 7.85% last year with FICO scoring of 620, but conventional loans look at and bas their finding heavily on your scores and credit history. FHA wants to see a 24 month clean payment record, conventional will dig deeper than that.

7. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I had a score of 644, and I had no problem qualifying for a conventional loan with only 3% down. I went through a couple of places, two mortgage brokers and my credit union.

I ended up going through my credit union because the closing costs were a lot lower.

8. k

k Guest

wow, thats great to know you can get 3 percent down without needing a 720 fico. thanks

9. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I also was able to get a 3% sellers concession, so that covered my 3% down.