Until recently, that is... Here's the letter I've sent to a couple of attorneys (With names withheld to protect the GUILTY): "A mortgage company (which shall be nameless) preapproved my wife and I for a VA/FHA loan back in April 2003. We immediately began looking for a house. We made an offer on a house in May, but the inspection revealed some things that made us change our minds about it. Before we decided not to pursue this house, the mortgage company received our package with all requested documents confirming our income, job time, etc.... In August 2003, we made another offer on another house. My brother-in-law and I even went out to the house on a weekend, with the permission of the seller, and spent almost two days working on it in preparation for the VA inspection. We were set to close on September 10th (yesterday), but about two weeks ago, we learned that our approval wasn't valid. This is supposedly because they discovered that we had some Non-Sufficient Fund (NSF) fees at our bank recently. The problem is that NSF fees were never mentioned at all. In fact, when we filled out and returned our packet on that first house in May, copies of our bank statements which were sent showed that we had NSF fees in every single month since January, yet nothing was said about it. They continued to allow us to shop for houses, thinking that our approval was valid. In fact, two weeks ago (September 2nd), the lady who originally gave us our preapproval assured me yet again on the phone that our approval was still good. My wife and I have spent the last several months looking at houses, driving around looking at neighborhoods, finding sitters when necessary for our two young boys, checking out school districts, negotiating prices, researching on the Internet, and just generally wrapping our lives up in this home search, only to be told 12 days before closing on THE house that there are problems with our bank statements, which had never once been mentioned before. I find it hard to believe that something which played NO part in our approval process can be used to deny us at the last minute, especially when it had never been mentioned before. If we had acted on good faith in this mortgage company's "approval" and had given notice to our landlord, we could possibly have become homeless. I should also mention that, during the course of this home search, we paid $275.00 for the first home inspection, $230.00 for the last home inspection, and $250.00 to lock in our promised interest rate through September 23, 2003, with this mortgage company. Is there anything that can be done? We were led over the course of several months to believe that we were approved. In fact, they upped our VA approval amount several times with no mention of NSF fees or any other problem, after having all of our documents in their possession since May. There are far more details involved, all of which support my complaint, but I've chosen to be brief here. I'm no attorney but I feel I have a strong case of negligence, at the very least, on the part of this company." Anybody ever dealt with this sort of thing?