Moving...Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Killer, Nov 24, 2000.

1. Killer

Killer Guest

Hey Gang,

There is a strong possibility that I will be moving to a different city. Should I contact my creditors by phone? letter? or both? How far in advance should I contact them? Or should I wait until I move? When should I notify my bank and credit union? I also have a pending application with Cap One. How should I handle if I need to move during the time they are considering me? Does anybody have any experience with this?

2. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

I let the post office do everything. Fill out a change of address form. They will forward all your mail to the new address. Then, gradually you can make sure all your addresses are changed by direct contact or by checking the address change box on all your correspondence.

http://www.creditsense.com

3. river

river Well-Known Member

GM Killer,is moving due to job relocation or personal reasons? I would do the post office thing and then call each creditor and do the correpondence on the return envelope with monthly payments"check here if your address has changed". Just repeated what creditwork-creditsense.com said.Good luck with the adventure! It's a bi#c% to have o move. Have done my share of it in my younger days. Sounds like I'm old,but really I'm not,just 38. Where are you now and where would you be going?

4. Killer

Killer Guest

Eventhough I'm having bad luck with credit these days, everything is going well with my employer. Looks like they offer me a better job but I will have to move in order to accept. Yes moving will a pain in the "you know what!" I am now in Texas but I don't know where they will send me!

5. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Hi Killer,
    I moved from NYC to Philadelphia on September 24. I applied for the Citibank card on September 23. Damn. So let me tell you my experiences. Capital One may need to verify your address. At best, they will send your card to your old address. You will have difficulty changing the address on a processed & approved application. This is basically due to security purposes. Plus they will want your address to match the one on your credit report. Next you will need to call each of your credit card issuers and change the address. You will have a hard time buying anything on the web if the address doesnot match. A simple phone call to each credit card company will get the info updated. You also need to go to the post office the day before you move and do a change of address/mail forwarding request. Your mail will start coming to your new address after ~ 10days. As soon as you turn in the request and put the day to start forwarding you will not receive anymore mail at your old address, so plan accordingly. Dont forget to call each utility co., phone co, credit card co., insurance co., or anyone that you make a monthly payment to. I made a big list. Anyone that I forgot, was taken care of by mail forwarding. You should call a bank in the new area and open an account ahead of time. But that depends on how far you are moving. Some banks now open accounts online or on the phone. Good Luck with your move.

roni,

6. Killer

Killer Guest

Thanks! I needed that advice..I will not have to open a new checking account. My checks for my new AMEX account arrived today! I will only need to change the address! Isn't that great! I will definitely follow your advice. Thanks again.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Oh, one more thing Killer,
    If you have any automatic payment to your credit cards or bank account like, cell phones,Junum.com, etc. you need to change the address on the account before the next transaction because it will not go through and you will have more trouble getting it straight in the end.

roni

8. river

river Well-Known Member

Got Amex checks Monday of this week and got ATM card today with pin #. So you will probably get your ATM card first of next week because I lost a day with the holiday yesterday.

9. Killer

Killer Guest

Cool River! I agree with your earlier post. Classic blue looks good. But boy aren't they stingy with the free checks! That's all good anyway. If I move, I feel certain that I will have to, then my re-order can have my new address. Since you have your ATM card then you have your log-in information for on-line services. Are you going to use their on-line bill pay? I think I will because it's set-up to work with MS Money.

10. Killer

Killer Guest

Thanks again Roni. I never thought about that! I have several automatic payments on my credit cards. I will definitely remember to change address.

11. roni

roni Well-Known Member

yes, i forgot about that too. if the bank/credit card co. has your new address and the cellphone co., etc have the old address for billing purposes, none of your payments will go thru. I had problems with new purchases and junum.com, sprint, etc.

12. river

river Well-Known Member

I plan to use their pay on-line and any other service that they offer.The customer service is awsome!!!!They really go out of their way to service you. You'll really like their ATM card.