Mr. 30K Student Loan

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, you have to have at least ONE federally funded loan to consolidate and get the lower rate. I don't know if they'll let you consolidate private loans into it.

So, okay...my question is....since I only asked for 9k....(and they split it up over the course of my program), can I ask for more next year (since you have to do loan apps each year)?

When I went undergrad, it was much simpler.

Also Erica, everyone who has students loans doesn't qualify for the interest rate reduction. Only for loans that were disbursed after 7/1/97 (see my post about this...I posted the entire article). So, for someone like myself, I don't qualify. HOWEVER, now that I have other loans (taken out now), I can consolidate and take advantage of the rate reduction.

2. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

What I would really like to plan is when I graduate from school, join a company that will actually pay my student loans off...do these companies exist?? I'm going to be a nurse and I'm told b/c of the shortage, hospitals are willing to pay off loans for work....

3. keltexx

keltexx Well-Known Member

Used to be a nurse----no luck with the student loan repays during my time. However, there are special Federal loans for Health Care professionals. However, I do know now that some major metropolitan hospitals have a lot more flexible options if you are willing to go to certain areas (Emergency, ICU, Med Surg). Maybe not necessarily student loan repays but pretty big signing bonuses.

Now working in IT, and my employer will pay up to 20,000 for some student loan repays. Unfortunately, not me, but it does exist. Just my opinions/experiences.