Mr. Williamson in collections

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Kravitz Ba, May 11, 2000.

1. Kravitz Ba

Kravitz Ba Guest

We have never had any dealings with Cross Country Bank. Nevertheless, a Mr. Williamson continues to call my compnay hasrassing us about one of our employees.

This company, Cross Country Bank, would not even stop harassing us despite a 3 way call with the President of our local Better Business Bureau.

In order to get acess into our company, Cross Country plays a misleading recording that there is an important message.

We don't know what to do to stop this.

2. Yigal

Yigal Guest

RE: Mr. Williamson in collecti

Call the police and file harassment charges.

3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

I am not an attorney....but based on what you've written, Mr. Williamson would appear to be violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). A collector cannot call a person's place of work when they know or reasonably should know that such calls are not permitted. Though the FDCPA generally applies to third-party debt collectors (collection agencies), most creditors adhere to the FDCPA to avoid problems. Depending on the your state, there may be more specific laws that apply to credtors.

Your employee should send a certifed, return receipt letter that clearly advises the bank to not call him anymore at work. If no further contact is wanted at either home or work, the employee needs to use the phrase "Cease and Desist all contact regarding my account." This puts the creditor on notice and if they continue their attempts to contact the employee (other than one more time to advise the employee what, if any, further action will be taken, i.e., lawsuit), it can result in fines and can be the grounds for a lawsuit.

As the business owner, I am sure you have much more effective remedies than calling the BBB. This would include complaints with local, state and federal agencies, especially those that regulate the company. The other contributors of this board who have dealt with this creditor before are best equipped to expand on this. You might also consider a lawsuit.

From what I have read about the practices of the company, it is my opinion that you are in for some more fun. Document everything and, if permitted by law, record the conversations.

4. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Beyond taking legal action, I would take the opportunity to have fun with them.

Basically, time is money to them. The more of the collector's time you can waste, the better. Eventually they will get frustrated and apply their efforts elsewhere.

When they call, put them on hold forever. The other thing you can do is interview them. Demand their full name, business address, supervisor's name and telephone number, their personal information, their social security number, etc, etc. Tell them they have not complied with your policy on employee inquiries and make up all sort of unreasonable hoops for them to jump through.

Eventually they will get the message and just stop calling as they aren't going to get anywhere.

5. BOB

BOB Guest

I was advised to do this once and it worked,
    send a letter stating that under THE FDCPA
    LAW I demand you no longer contact me in any
    way from the date of this letter. Any contact will constitute a damage of $1000 per
    incident. Additionally, I dispute the dept
    entirely. Consequently this notice also serves as an official request of proof that I owe this debt as outlined in the FDCPA.
    Proof as is defined in the RULES OF EVIDENCE
    in our local courts and must stand up to the rigorous tests that a court of law will require. This means that unsigned computer
    printouts are totally out of consideration.
    You must provide a copy of a document with my signature.

Sincerely

CROOKS COUNTRY BANK collectors are stupid to start with, but this is the law, document everytime they call, if you can record it,
    then record it, Check with you state first
    you may have to tell them you are recording the call, but that's ok, if you advise them
    you are recording the call they usually hang up. Good Luck, I wonder if Mr.Williamson is
    Joseph who tried to post her awhile back.
    he a real moron first class.

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Haha... this really does work. Collectors aren't going to wait more than a couple minutes for someone to come to the phone. He'll get the idea after the second call. Collections work is all about numbers, dollars, accounts worked, calls made, calls received, call times, etc.

I was also going to suggest mailing this Adam Henry a couple dozen stale bagels compliments of his fine work. But this would just be a further cost to the business.

Also, get his toll-free call back number, working hours, etc and call him periodically to let him know you are thinking about him and your employee's debt. You may consider giving this number to others who may have the need to contact him.

Good luck and have fun. This clown deserves it.

7. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? How can you simultaniously tell a creditor/collector that you 1) dispute the validity of the debt AND 2) want no further contact from them or they face fines? This is not only a contradiction, it kills two of your weapons with one letter. What happened to trying to clear the apparent mistake with a "send me the original bill(s)" statement BEFORE the cease/desist letter?

I learned the cease and desist letter should only be used as a last resort when everything else has failed. A creditor will sometimes go through several different collection agencies before a suit becomes a viable option.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member

Notify the Delaware Banking Commission:

Consumer Complaints
    State of Delaware
    Office of The State Bank Commissioner
    555 E. Loockerman Street, suite 210
    Dover, DE 19901

Also, the individual I have been dealing with in a continued dispute/issue, is:

Mr. Michael Shaw
    Cross Country Bank
    800 Delaware Ave.
    Wilmington, DE 19801

He is the typical lying unethical scumbag idiot that works for CCB (I have 5 letters from him filled with contradictions...), but it appears he does have the power to get things done..you will find CCB has some very loanshark/mafia/mob-like ways of doing things..(but gee, I would never actually suggest that there is a connection...)...you will wonder if it is ignorance, stupidity, or just plain criminal behavior as you deal with them...

I would also agree with a complaint to the phone company or FCC re telephone harrassment...and a civil suit that slams them...after all, you are obviously losing profit if you cannot run your business or customers cannot call you..you will find CCB backs down fast, but takes advatage of people with bullying tactics up front...

Good luck!

9. BOB

BOB Guest

Jim I realize you have not had much to do with CROOKS COUNTRY BANK, send me the original bill does not compute to them.
    These clowns like the pervert Mr. Williamson
    are ten times worse than any collection co.
    They lie, they threaten, they bully, and
    harrass you 24/7, at home and at work, they
    will threaten your employer and anybody else they can contact about you. Even if you dispute an item on your statement you still get charged for it one way or another, be it
    higher rates, or bogus fees. The law means nothing to these jerks, so you have to fight fire with fire. And I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but I have seen first hand what these unethical moron perverts can do to a person and family. CROOKS COUNTRY BANK
    has it's own laws and these laws are the only ones they go by, even if it is against
    the FCRA, FCC AND THE LAWS THAT GOVERN THIS COUNTRY. In my opinion this mr. williamson
    is a preverted jerk with no ethics or morals
    that needs to be in a zoo instead of on the streets with normal people. nuff said, sorry
    to the regulars that this went so long.

10. Eric

Eric Guest

When I read about CCB being bombed in the paper, I won't say a word, Bob. :)

11. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Bob,

I have never dealt with this bank, nor will I ever based on what I have read here. I am not in disagreement, my message was intended to question the verbage of your letter and the thinking behind it. I should have been more clear because my comment really wasn't specific to Cooks Country Bank and their ways.

If understand how the dispute process works, a person has a right to a written dispute to question the debt. Then the creditor or collector must provide actual proof the debt is owed. But if within the same letter you give them the "cease and desist" clause, that's shutting the door in their face. It is my understanding that this forces the creditor to stop ALL contact with the expection of one last time, to advise what, if any further action, will take place (such as a suit). If so, then how are they suppose to provide proof the debt is owed?

Either I am misinformed, not understanding the process correctly, or your letter is a clever "checkmate" move that is beyond me at this point.

12. BOB

BOB Guest

Jim, I'm sorry if my post came across wrong.
    This letter was given to me by a former collector. I used it once and it worked wonders. This is a law, and if you keep records of all contacts after they receive the letter you can nail them. Companies like
    CROOKS COUNTRY BANK don't care about laws.
    Their unethical morons who have their own law
    and could care less about the FCRA, FTC, or any other governing body. But because of this board and others the consumer is fighting back and they can't stand it. So until ROCCO AND HIS GOONS stop me I'm going to warn everybody I can about them and their
    no morals employees.