Multiple cc's with same bank?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by geekpipe, May 4, 2001.

1. geekpipe

geekpipe Well-Known Member

Hi,

I noticed some people saying they have multiple accounts/credit cards with the same bank. How is this possible? I thought if you had one card that was it?? Am I missing something? I think I tried once to apply again for the same card and they said that I already applied.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Kev

2. jonesing

jonesing Well-Known Member

It depends on the company you're dealing with. Providian typically doesn't let you have 2 Visa cards but it happens (I have two) but they will let you have a Visa and Mastercard (which is considered an "upgrade in status" according to a retention rep). Some places like AMEX will let you have multiple accounts: green charge, gold charge (getting a gold doesn't automatically cancel your green), Blue, SkyMiles gold credit etc. However, many department stores will limit you to one card--except maybe a regular Nordstrom and Nordstrom Visa.

Don't forget the merger/buyouts as well. Taking into account current events with the Wachovia-First Union merger. Suppose you have a FU Visa and MC and you also have a Wachovia Visa. At the end of the merger you'll have 2 Wachovia Visas and one Wachovia MC.

3. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member

I had an account with First USA. Then I applied for an account with Best Buy and also Southwest Air. When they came, I found they were also with First USA. So I have three with the same bank. Limits are $12,000, 7000, and 3200.

4. geekpipe

I see. I actually was saying that I saw people with three Cap 1 accounts or 3 Providian Aria cards. I just dont get how they could get that? I thought one application per person? Can you apply for the same card twice?

Kevin

5. Davidoj

Davidoj Member

I have 3 cards with the same comp.

6. geekpipe

what is the company?

7. creditwork

creditwork Well-Known Member

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

You can definitely have more than one card with a bank. Providian is the ONLY bank I have ever heard putting a limit on the number of accounts. I have 2 citibank cards & 2 Household banks cards. I know that some banks put a limit on the number of applications they will accept from you in a period of time. That may explain what happened to you.