Multiple entries for 1 account

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by orchard1, Oct 19, 2001.

1. orchard1

orchard1 New Member

I have reason to believe that one of my collection agencies is reporting the same debt multiple times on my credit reports using different company names (all the same creditor however). I have actually been told this in a phone conversation that they "may" do this from time to time to aid in collecting a debt.

I cannot believe this is legal. I recall reading somewhere that the original creditor is liable for the actions of their CA's, is this true?

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

The problem, as always, is enforcing the law... the cra's will try to tell you that if it's a different company, it's a different tradeline and allowed to be reported. You'll also see companies changing the account numbers to report the information twice.

As for creditors being liable for the actions of their CA's, I think you can argue that they are representing the original creditor. Because of that relationship, they are liable.

3. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Again, in these kind of instances, I suggest that you file a complaint with your state banking dep't. who should regulate these scumbags. Also file with the BBB, your state atty. general and the atty. general in the state they are in. Don't take their b.s. Oh, also file with the FTC. Then, if you can prove it, sue them in small claims court for violations of the FDCPA.