Multiple First Premier Cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by will, Sep 22, 2000.

1. will

will Active Member

I've had a secured FP Visa for approx 2 1/2 years ($400 deposit w/no increases) and recently was approved for two additional unsecured cards ($350 each unused). My question is whether or not I should get rid of the secured card now and work with the unsecured cards. It originally seemed like a no-brainer, but the fact that I've got a "history" with that card will probably look better on my credit report. So should I cancel one of the new ones and keep the secured card?

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: Multiple First Premier Car

I would keep the secured card because the length of trade line history is a positve factor in your credit score. Why not ask them to increase the limit?

3. will

will Active Member

I'll give that a try this afternoon. So should I keept the two unsecured cards or try to consolidate?

4. FISH

FISH Guest

I would go with the unsecured cards, keep the secured paid off and in a few months ask them to close it at your request and return the funds. I have a couple of cards from them, the upfront fees are high, but if you keep a good record for a year with them they will lower your apr, I got mine to 12.9 and the annual fee lowered also. Actually the apr is one of the better ones that I have. The only "KILLER" is the upfront fees. You can easily get the Future Card from them if you have not received it. I have not had a bit of problem with customer service.

5. will

will Active Member

RE: Other Cards

I have the secured Visa, unsecured Visa, and unsecured Future Card Visa. Before I received the two unsecured cards, I was considering First Consumers National or First National Credit Card accounts. Will adding an additional card help or hinder at this point? They are both "secured and more" offers that have been approved but not "active". I also have a Capital One Gold (another low limit card).

6. FISH

FISH Guest

If it were me I'd go with FCNB as they will release the funds in 12 months of good pay history and they are very good at increases every six months after you go unsecured. After you establish a relationship with them they will reduce the apr and possibly drop the annual fee. If not at least it will go to 20.00 and you do not have the upfront fees that 1st Premier does

7. will

will Active Member

RE: Other Cards -Fish

You seem fairly knowledgeable on a range of banks. Would you mind sharing which cards you carry?

8. rolo

rolo Well-Known Member

you have weigh to many sh-ty cards. stick with capital one.and close the others.

9. FISH

FISH Guest

Providian 6000. unsecured Never secured
    Capital one 3000. unsecured as of 4-00
    FCNB MC 3000. unsecured as of 3 years
    FCNB Visa 2000. unsecured Never secured
    1ST prem Visa 600. unsecured Never secured
    1ST prem Fut 500. unsecured Never secured
    Aria Visa 2000. just got portrait unsec.
    Eddie Bauer MC Pre-approved no card yet

10. will

will Active Member

So I should just work with the $300 limit card? Or do you mean add to the secured account or try to get an additional card? If I could get a card that wasn't sh*tty, I would have at least one -- don't you think?

11. A.C. Brown

A.C. Brown Guest

How long did it take you to get to $6000.00 with Providian. What did you start out with?