Multiple Inquiries

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by matty61184, Aug 6, 2003.

1. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who recently applied for a Dell Preferred Account back in May, 2003. Just looked at her report tonight and found three inquiries from the CIT bank that does the financing for them and found three inquiries, two on 5/23/2003 listed as permissible purpose and one from 5/24/2003 that stated "checking account." She wasn't applying for a checking account, just financing for her computer!!! Is it permissible for them to make THREE pulls within a two day period? I don't think it is; they should have pulled only ONE inquiry, and she only applied for the account one time. What should I have her do? Call them and ask the have removed? If they don't cooperate, could we be talking $1,000 for each of the two inquiries? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Matt

2. BrettS

BrettS Well-Known Member

Are you looking at a single report from one CRA or a merged report from Privacy Guard or something like that? If you're looking at a merged report then it's quite possible that they pulled a copy of all three reports... which would show up as three inquiries... one for each report. I think it's pretty unusual for a company like that to pull all three reports, but it's not unheard of.

If they did, in fact, pull one report three times, then that seems kind of odd, but unfortunatly I think it is still within their rights (Although the one listed as 'Checking account' seems a little fishy). If this is the case, you might be able to call the CRA and point out the three inquiries and ask if they can delete all but one as duplicates. People have had luck with this if they get a nice customer service rep.

HTH,
    Brett

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

In this case...the CRA(S) can be your friend...they will remove DUPLICATE, TRIPLICATE inquires in a 30 day period...

YMMV

4. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

No, it was only on one report, Experian.