My baby's all grown up

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jlynn, Aug 14, 2003.

1. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

My oldest turned 18 yesterday :(

Funny story - she woke up at 8:30 yesterday (which is VERY early for a teen), at 9:00 she gets a phone call.

Who was it? Citibank - offering her a credit card!!!!!

LOL, they didn't even allow her to get awake before the sharks came after her. Unfortunately she said no. I told her next time she gets a call like that, to let me know...she needs to start some credit, while I can teach her to be responsible, before she goes off into this big bad world. Unfortunately, due to my mishaps, I don't have a card to AU her on that will help her :( we have no family either.

I tried to pull a WK on her, thank goodness they can't validate her. Seems her cr is as smooth as her little buns were 18 years ago.

2. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Don't accept ANY offer over the phone (when THEY call YOU), and tell her to NEVER do it, either.

You don't know who that (really) is on the other end -- could be someone trying to scam her info to steal her identity.

From here on out, I will ONLY apply ONLINE (via the web) or in person, and I ONLY apply where *I* was the one who initiated the transaction.

NEVER respond to ANY email or visit ANY website that someone SENT you an email about to "go visit here" or "go apply there". Too many identity theives use the phone and the internet to get your info.

If YOU didn't initiate the transaction -- no matter WHAT it's for -- then you don't know who REALLY emailed you, called you, etc.

Don't fall prey to the criminals. And teach your newly annointed 18 year old the same thing.

3. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Very good advice John! You can never be too careful!

4. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

First Financial Bank

Anybody ever heard of them? She got a student card offer today:

No annual fee, no application fee, no processing fee, and 0% interest on all purchases up to $250.

19.5% on balances over $250

They only require that she has a checking account.

5. DanS

DanS Well-Known Member

One thing I'll do is ask for their name and phone number and call back, usually another time.

As for your 18 year old, I asked here about that for my son, who will be 19 in a few months and is headed off to college in a week. He applied for, and got, an Amex blue student card. Got his first bill yesterday. I'm attempting to pass my hard earned wisdom on to him. Sometimes, I think it's possible.

6. jshimmer

jshimmer Well-Known Member

Not a well known bank (e.g., Citi, Chase, etc.). 19.5% is high no matter WHAT.

Again, I avoid applying for ANYTHING where the other party involved CONTACTS ME (unless it's a CC offer from one of my existing banking relationships, etc.).

If I need something (e.g., a credit card, home equity loan, a pair of shoes, some good advice), I seek it out myself. I know when I need something, and I don't need someone trying to sell me something that can turn out to be either a great deal or a bottle of snake oil.

Don't "impulse" shop, whether it's for a new blouse or a new credit card offered over the phone.

YOU know what you need, and YOU know what's a good deal and what's not.

In my opinion, if the offer was THAT good, THEY wouldn't have to call YOU in order to get you to sign up for it, no matter WHAT it was. :)

7. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Re: Re: My baby's all grown up

They sent it in the mail. I will be looking at several before we pick one.

8. willgator

willgator Well-Known Member

Re: Re: My baby's all grown up

try blue for students

9. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: My baby's all grown up

That's what I'm leaning towards...something respectable. I'm also learning that alot of the student cards require you to be enrolled in a 4 yr school.

DD knows its a smart financial move to go to a 2 yr school for the basics, as she will be transferring to a 4yr state-supported school in TX, and all those credits are transferrable.

10. sirrowan

sirrowan Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: My baby's all grown up

Is it 1st Financial Bank or is it actually First Financial Bank.

The reason I ask is because by boss's daughter has a 1st Financial Bank credit card and they charge $9.00 to do a basic online payment. Everything must be mailed to them, if you don't want to be charged a fee to pay them. Quite cheesy.

My babies are 3 & 4. I can't wait until they turn 18 and go off to college. THEY WILL GO OFF TO COLLEGE.

I love my girls, don't get me wrong, but Lord can they be difficult sometimes. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE. I have approximately 15 years more of HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE to go.....sigh

11. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Well it is 1st vs First. I just found them on the internet. They specialize in student credit. I'm still leaning towards Amex Blue.

BTW - when mine was 3, I said the same thing. But I look at her at 18, I see the guys looking at her when we are in the car together, etc. etc.

She can live with me as long as she likes!!!!!!!!

12. luckymom

luckymom Well-Known Member

Aww...jlynn, I look at my lil gal and can't imagine her all grown up :(

Been gone a long time...just lurkin around and saw your post...good luck :)

13. sirrowan

sirrowan Well-Known Member

My girls are hilarious. My oldest asked if we could have a baby. Ya know, like a puppy or a kitten, except she wanted a baby as a pet. She says she's gonna get married when she gets big. I told her after graduate school that would be just fine....She said OK! Like she knows what I'm talking about.

I'm sure that I'll change my mind too...