My collection saga, any advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Well most are familiar with my situation, I received a letter today DEMANDING payment in 10 days OR they are going to attach collections fees, now I know some will be saying write the C&D Letter, but this item has to be paid before we get a mortgage, so I am really getting angry with these people, but can they attach fees and if I continue to fight and get nowhere then I may end up paying more than the 246.00 to get mortgage!! GRRRR I really am thinking about tossing this quest and paying it. Inputs and thoughts are appreciated:)

Mom

2. Alwilda Sm

Alwilda Sm Guest

RE: My collection saga, any ad

Send the "if-you-agree-not-to-report-this-as-a-collection-I-will-get-a-check-out-tommorrow-via-priority-mail-sign-here-to-agree" letter.

-Alwilda Smith

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun with these guys and nothing, they will only agree to paid in full period. Honestly I wish I could tell them to shove it, but unfortunately I have to pay this prior to mortgage next summer and now I am afraid they will try to tack on some collections fees. I have really fought with them on this, but I am getting tired of fighting it and feel I have no other choice than to pay, it stinks I know but I guess sometimes you can't win them all:(

4. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: original debtor?

Is there no way you can pay the original debtor? or was it sold to a collection agency?

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: never mind

I should have read earlier...

Sorry.

6. Kristi

Kristi Guest

RE: never mind

Mom, why not try a professional debt negotiator? Most dont chage a fee unless they settle it but you may have trouble finding one to take a debt under 500.00. You may just want to pay this one & battle the bureau later. Chances are after paid, the agency will lose interest and since you need it paid to get a mortgage then you should consider the option.

sam wrote:
    -------------------------------
    I should have read earlier...

Sorry.

7. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kristi

Yes Kristi I may just bite the bullet here and pay them and dispute it in a few months. Thanks again for your help and advice.

8. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

You fought with Providian for a year and finally won. You still have some time before the summer. I would wait til about Feb. before paying, but continue to fight. If you had to pay then, you would still have time to dispute it. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe they can add collection fees.

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks lkh, I really don't want them to win, but I am just tired of fighting them, yes I know I gave Providian hell and it finally paid off, I hope you are right about the collection fees, I would hate to end up paying more than I really owe.

10. newcomer2

newcomer2 Guest

Don't give up mom . Justy pretend you don't have that mortgage.. ! tell them it's wither deletation or u don't pay .. ! remember paying is always an option . lets see who hold on follow the post before this be very cool about it and tell them u'll get a lawyer if nessasary .

11. John Shimm

John Shimm Guest

Gee, this is pretty much a no brainer.

Do you have a mortgage pending until you pay this off? If so, pay the piddly 246 clams and get over it. You'll get your mortgage, you'll have it paid and show as paid. I no time, those payments on that mortgage combined with age of the PAID collection will render it moot (or close enough to it).

12. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I see your point of course. But we are not getting mortgage until next August, so I was trying to get it removed for payment, if my mortgage was pending of course I would pay it now, I was just trying to get them to settle with me.

13. jason

jason Well-Known Member

If you do pay it, make sure that they agree in writing to delete any derogatory listings on the credit report at the same time.

A recently paid collection still wipes out your FICO score.

14. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Jason

That is the problem, they won't agree to delete it just mark it paid. I have been trying for months now and they won't agree to that period. I really want to pay this but I want them to remove in exchange, I mean the SOL has expired and it drops off in 2 years, you would think they would be happy to get the money

15. me2

me2 Guest

Geez...just pay the measly $246 and be done with it. That is a small amount of money, you've tried everything else, and, according to your post, that is the only thing barring you from obtaining a mortgage.

Isn't your time and sanity worth more than $246? It just seems to be a huge waste of time to me to keep prolonging this.

16. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Yes I do agree it is a measly 246.00, but the mortgage is not happening until next August and I was just trying to get this off, being paid would not help his score one bit and this was actually a former bill we never received and I was just trying to do the best to get this removed. You hear so many success stories and I was just hoping I could have the same success with deletion, this is his only negative which could result in higher rates if it isn't deleted. I know I shouldn't lose sleep over it, I was just trying to help our chances for lower rates, sorry.

17. Alwilda Sm

Alwilda Sm Guest

Hey, who can blame you for exhausting all possible alternatives? It's such a damn shame that the $246 collection probably carries as much weight as if it were ten times the amount.

-Alwilda Smith

18. Mortgagegu

Mortgagegu Guest

Mom,

Pay the bill. The paid collection won't hurt you as much as the open collection. The sooner you pay it the better. After you pay it you can continue to try and have it removed by disputing it. Maybe they will miss it.

You shouldn't have to worry about paying higher rates if this account is paid.