My Computer WAS HACKED!!!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dogman, Oct 27, 2001.

1. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi all - I want to remind everyone that all of us are at RISK for having our computer information SNAGGED and DISTRIBUTED without our knowledge!

I tried to logon to AOL last night - and all passwords were invalid - it gave me an 800# TO CALL.
    They told me I had put up a link to a BAD site, and was sending this hot link to other email members on AOL!!!!! I told them I had never done that - they asked me several EXCELLENT SECURITY QUESTIONS, then we discussed what had happened!

VERY INTERESTING!

I WAS IMPRESSED THAT AOL FOUND THIS B4 ME!

She then told me I was a victim of someone who had connected their link to a cookie sent from my machine. This link sent out emails to other email members - who clicked - then their email started attaching this link, then sending to others who clicked .... GEEZ!

Interesting - I got 2 emails from an AOL member I did not know that said "QUIT sending this crap"...I disregarded them - thinking error or whatever.They were linked on the worm to me, and were sending out other emails when they responded to me!

I told AOL I have DSL and left my PC on always - she told me to download Norton or McAfee Firewall software immediately.

I downloaded Norton INTERNET SECURITY 2002 from their site - I bought it at $69.95.
    It went through my PC automatically - get this - my name, address, and all information like AMEX #
    could have been SNAGGED!

The program fixed everything, put up the firewall, makes sure all my personal stuff WILL NOT BE SENT unless I allow it (flash message).....GEEZ!

EVERYONE, snapping data over the internet is fine - BUT - make sure your PC backdoor fights off another PC trying to hack info or attach your email to links that send out others.
    OF course, the threat is less when your PC BOX itself is turned off. But info can be snagged while you all are reading my message.

Check it out - your can trial either brand of software for 30 days to determine if you want it. BUT with DSL, I bought it and installed it NOW. I am now protected against websites trying to touch my IP address! GEEZ!

later - Dogman

2. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Dogman,

I'm sorry that you experienced this, but I'm glad that you were able to figure out the problem and get the Norton firewall. Scary!

Thanks for posting to inform everyone.

3. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

I swear I didn't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn

4. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

a really good and maybe better program to have is zonealarm. www.zonealarm.com. Very easy to use and it's updated a lot.

Or buy a dsl/cable modem router they have a built in firewall. and you can share the internet connection also.

To check for security holes on your computer goto www.grc.com and use their shieldsup port prober.

5. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Good advice Dogman. Since hooking up my DSL, I bought the Norton Internet Security and within the hour I can see other machines trying to hack my computer.

Spend the money now.

Best regards,
    Mirage

6. jtw

jtw Well-Known Member

hey dog, what kinda machine do ya have?

Curious, but somehow I know it's got to be a good one.

Just the dogman's style :>)

7. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Great Link Leo!!!

thanks for the info.

NO LEAKS HERE

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

ITS AN ANCIENT DELL...P3 800...

not even 1G! I bought it Mar 2000!
    (but it was expensive then)
    19" Sony FD Monitor
    Altec Lansing Lucasfilm THX Surround Sound
    Logitech wireless keyboard / mouse
    Logitech Quickcam - new
    Z1P - 100 External Drive
    CDRW
    DVD
    HP Printer/Copeir/Fax/Scanner
    Kodak DC280
    Palm 7

That's my dining room table LOL!
    cya dogman

see ya dogman

9. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Re: ITS AN ANCIENT DELL...P3 800...

You guys deserve a lot of CREDIT for helping dogman with his hacked computer. There, we're safe. :)

Doc

10. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I charged it.....LOL! Safe again - Dogman

11. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Amazing I was driving "BLIND" - yup. cya dogman
    excellent software!

12. steve

steve Well-Known Member

Hey dogman, I have a similar setup as you do:

17" Monitor
    Yamaha Speakers with Subwoofer
    DVD
    CDRW
    External ZIP 100
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard
    Wireless Mouse
    Kodak DX3600 (new arrival)
    Firewall and Firewire input (need to install)
    AMEX Smart Card reader (not using anymore, but looks nice)

Intel PC Camera
    Lexmark Z51
    UMAX Scanner (Old)

13. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

Great way to see how effective your firewall program really is. ie, before and after.

14. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

That NORTON comes with AD Blocker - man that works great - I no longer get popups from stupid nextcard (even when I have it already) LOL!

no more flashing Household GOTTA GETTA BETTA MC! No more crappy ads! its great!

later dogman

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

That Shields Up is terrific!! Getting Zone Alarm now. The only thing I had open was the file sharing. OOpsie!!

16. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

I came back after a great burger and Norton Security just said I am completely protected...I feel like I put a condom on my network adapter! LOL!

Aroooo! dogman

17. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

wow, must have been a xxxxx large lol...

18. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

Free Zone Alarm has less expolits then $69 Nortons. Next time look for Norton Programs on EBAY. People sell OEM versions for $10-$20 of all Symantec software.

19. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Wow! I thought using dial up I wasn't vulnerable - I've been scanned twice tonight already.

20. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Ever wonder where those NextCard and Household ads came from before they popped up on your screen? Do you visit credit-related web sites often?