My copy NOT like creditors' copy

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, Jul 19, 2001.

1. waalien

waalien Well-Known Member

Re: My copy NOT like creditors' cop

OK, I will be going over my insurance policies with a fine-tooth comb tonight. Although, since they didn't pull my CR prior to insuring me, it seems unlikely that USAA would pull it prior to processing a claim.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the last time I signed an insurance application - I have, for many years now, obtained insurance coverage over the internet or the phone. I don't recall ever having to sign anything and send it back. Of course, that's just as scary now that I think about it.

For those of us who haven't had the opportunity or requirement to sign our names to anything, how tightly are we bound by arbitration agreements or forum selection clauses? Or is it one of those "you didn't cancel it, so you agreed to it" kinds of things?

2. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

I love the explanation from the insurance man that credit risk is tied to suicide rates.
    1*The truth is that the insurers have allied with creditors to make you pay or you won't be able to drive. Since insurance is mandatory, you will be screwed and left with public transportation options.
    2*The other claim is that a debtor is more likely to make a claim. WELL, isn't that why you have insurance?
    3* What is insurance for...just to pay your premium...or to fund those gigantic insurance office buildings?

David A. Szwak
    ---------------------------------
    l*Mandantory insurance forces you to buy a product that in effect doesn't exist due to the fact the insurance companies will do everything in their power to avoid paying claims. Since the states did nothing to require insurers to pay claims when they enacted mandatory insurance laws it amounts to nothing more than forcing us the consumers to make free donations to insurers.
    2*Hardly because how was the debtor able to obtain the debt in the first place if he is such a poor risk?
    3*Like I said in #1 above it is for free donations to the insurance companies
    * * * * * * * * Note~~~~
    Unlike in other areas of commerce where the consumer has the right to refuse to buy shoddy or unsatisfactory products mandatory insurance strips the consumer of this right.

LB 59

3. ingenue

ingenue Well-Known Member

Someone in debt is more likely to file a claim?

I disagree. Some people in debt have not taken control of their financial life. I had roommates once who leaked money like a colander for bounced checks and late fees. They didn't get their paycheck in the bank on time. If they needed to file a claim, they'd probably procrastinate and/or botch that too.

I'd say a person not in debt, with stellar credit, and organized finances, who always made payments on time, would be more likely to file a claim - properly. They bought insurance to protect their a$$ets and damned if they aren't going to get their money's worth. They're not going to let themselves come even close to being in the hole with the mechanic. They're going to file their claim, so they can pay their bills, and keep their credit report clean.

So the "logic" can work both ways.

-ingenue

4. DavidSzwak

DavidSzwak Member

Courts, especially federal courts, uphold these clauses to the detriment of consumers. Arbs are no longer just between "arms length" businesses. The Republican judges we got over the 12 years [now 4 more] packed the courts with anti-consumer jurists. Who would have ever believed that a company could bury, in fine print, an arbitration provision, etc., and enforce it against a consumer, particularly those who are not "Philadelphia Lawyers.." I took a depo of a car dealership salesman in Metts v. [[Toyota dealership]], 26th JDC, Bossier Parish, Louisiana, and asked him if he pointed out the arb to the buyers-consumers [an auto mechanic and his wife]. He said "no." I asked him to explain what this multi-sentence buried paragraph meant and he said "You'd have to be a Philadelphia Lawyer to understand that language." He could not explain it and could not even tell me what the rules of arbitration were. Worse yet, the consumer was expected to pay for the arb process. Case settled but it is a good example of the problems encountered by the consumer who signs a document without consulting a lawyer [which we all know should not be required].

David A. Szwak, Esq.

5. juliedeale

juliedeale Well-Known Member

i found this in a search. I think it is important that we know if the reports we see are the ones lenders see. I frequently see where people see their scores sore but are repeatedly denied credit, are they seeing the scores we see?/

Julie

6. juliedeale

i found this in a search. I think it is important that we know if the reports we see are the ones lenders see. I frequently see where people see their scores sore but are repeatedly denied credit, are they seeing the scores we see?/

Julie

7. sassyinaz

sassyinaz Well-Known Member

Marie,

How did this end up for you -- did you follow-up or through????

No Julie, they aren't the same, supposed to be though, that's the whole point.

Sassy

8. juliedeale

Sassy,

The FCRA states we are entitled to see what is in our files.

Lately I just feel like I have been punched in the gut by how useless this act really is.

9. sassyinaz

sassyinaz Well-Known Member

awwwwwww Julie,

I know it's frustrating, nodding!

It's not the FCRA that is the problem though, it is those that are bound by it -- they hate it, always have and work diligently to twist, contort, and just plain ignore what they are required to do.

It is the law, nonetheless, don't let them get away with punching you in the gut, that's their gig.

Consumers and our rights (save the monitoring services) aren't profitable for them. With every dispute and letter and insistance of your rights, you are making a difference and thwarting their plottings.

Think of all the millions of people that believe their lies and allow them to carry on without question.

Million dollar fines, judgments, and legislation isn't enough, I say, those that refuse to follow the laws should be doing some jail time, I say, or find a new business!

Keep on keepin' on, because it's your right and you can!!!!!!!!!!

Sassy