My Credit Report makes me sick....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by hurricane5, May 4, 2001.

1. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

My credit report makes me sick becuase it looks so BAD (even though I have no debt)...But my CR is too bad for me to take advantage of some of the great deals that are reserved for the "credit elite"!!!

Ok, here's my mini-vent: I'm driving to work today and across the street from my job at the GMC/Ford/Chrysler/etc dealer and I see this huge sign -- 0.0% for 60mths, 0 down --- I couldn't see the fine print, but I'm sure it said "on approved credit"...of course, this is right outside my office window, so every time I look out the window, I have to see this sign (thankfully, I 'll be in Las Vegas all of next week!)

For those who don't remember, I'm trying to buy 2 new cars this year (2nd child was born, existing cars are too small, etc.- you get the idea). I plan on getting a SUV and have narrowed my choices down to a Toyota Sequoia, GMC Yukon (Denali) and the Lincoln Navigator...my plan is to wait until Nov. when I get my big bonus, and just put down a big downpayment, etc. but, MAN WOULD IT BE NICE TO CRUISE AROUND IN ONE OF THOSE THIS SUMMER!!! I was almost tempted to go into the dealership and embarass myself by letting them pull a CR on me...but cooler heads prevailed and I figure the only thing it would have gotten me is a hard inquiry on my report!

I'll just be patient and let Junum work it's majic -- plus with my Cap 1 success yesterday, I really didn't want to end the week on such a sour note!

"If you can dream and not make dreams your master, if you can think and not make thoughts your aim, if you can meet with both Triumph and Disaster and treat those two imposters just the same..."

Ok, I feel better now!!! back to cleaning up this credit thing!!!

This is really...

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

hurricane,

It gets better. :D Hang in there.

breeze

3. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Things WILL get better. BELIEVE ME! My credit was down the tubes at one point, but thanks to this board I have "A" credit. You are doing the right thing having Junum work on your negatives. How many trade lines do you have? You should have at least 2 or 3 to help build your credit. I know it's easier said than done, but try to be patient. It WILL pay off. I have been in the same situation. Patience and hard work did pay off for me. Good luck!! :)

4. hurricane5

hurricane5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the support from all..I do feel much better about it today than I did yesterday (or maybe I'm just dizzy from the sun beating down on me while I was cutting my grass :)

Here's what I have on my CR is terms of positives,
    - Mortgage
    - Cap 1
    - Cap 1 (authorized on my wife's card)
    -
    -

hmmm...now that I've written this down, the list does look very slim...but subconciously, I think that this is how I want to be...after being in debt for so long, I'm finally in CONTROL again - I don't have to check the caller ID before I answer the phone..most of my bills are paid automatically BEFORE they are due, etc...having said all that, I agree that I may have to change my stategy to increase that stupid 3 digit number...

So, what cards do you guys recommend I go after -- also is there anything else that I should be doing at this point?

Hey here's a wild thought, maybe I'll win enough in Vegas this week to not have to worry about Mr. FICO... well, it's a thought!

Seriously, all of your help/advice is appreciated...

Your help is better than...

5. miles

miles Well-Known Member

The vegas idea may be worth a shot

...just kidding. :)

One or two more trade lines could only help. I think you should have at least one more major issuer and one dept. store. Even though I am angry at Providian (long story), I still think they are a good choice for building or rebuilding credit. Your account terms will probably be better than mine (grace period). They offer frequent increases which would definitely help your ratio as CapitalOne does not report the true limit. If you want or need to go the secured route, you may want to try FCNB. I have not had an account with them, but I have heard good things about them.
    I'm not sure what department stores are in your area, but if you have one, Kohl's department store would be a good choice as well as Target, Macy's or Dillard's. I hope this helps you some. Good luck and keep us updated.