My FICO reading

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Dani, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Am I the only one out there that thinks FICO is pure crap? I just went back and reread what my score meant and how I compared to the national population. FICO's report on me says "most consumers score between 300-850. Compared to the national population you are in the 41st percentile. A score of 703 is somewhat below average which makes you a higher risk than 59% of the population." Huh? I would like to know where the heck Fair Issac gets their information? Fifty nine percent of the population is over 700?! I don't believe it. Who exactly are they referring to...Bill Gates, Donald Trump? I don't know what FICO takes into consideration. One of my reasons FICO gives me is that I have too many inquiries - 3 hard inquiries in 2 years. Personally, I am about to revolt against these stupid banks and credit card companies that compare our incentive to pay against a set of numbers. What ever happened to sitting down and talking to the individual? Why they have what they have on their report and how it got there? How can the more credit you have the lower your score is? The system is completely one sided - they label us with a three digit number, but we are not allowed to dispute it or them? Unreal. I'm sorry for rampaging, but I read that little bit on my score and it completely irked me. The system doesn't teach us how to use credit responsibly, but we are just suppose to know! It likes a selling a teenager a car but refusing to teach them how to drive it. I sent out two letters a couple weeks ago to the Virginia House of Delegates for teaching high schoolers credit consumer education. I have yet to hear back. I would write to Congress, but am afraid my letter will get dismissed. Heck, the banking industry has already lined the federal government's pockets. I am going to end my tirade now. Any opinions? Am I out of line for thinking this?

Dani

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Your BEACON score: 690
    The information in your Equifax credit report has been summarized in a
    BEACON® score of 690. Most U.S. consumers score between 300 and
    850. Generally, the higher your score, the more favorably a lender will
    view your application for credit. Compared to the national population,
    you are in the 36th percentile of consumers by credit risk. A score of
    690 is somewhat below average. Studies show that for consumers
    with scores similar to yours, the odds of becoming seriously delinquent
    (90+ days past due) on one or more credit accounts are 2.10 times
    higher than for people with an average score.

I'M BELOW AVERAGE...THEIR CLUELESS!!!
    NO BK
    NO COLLECTIONS
    NO LATES
    NO OVER LIMIT
    OLDEST CREDIT LINE 1978

3. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Very good analysis. I too think that FICO is a bunch of crap. It is a bunch of bean counters looking at trends and statistics to determine risks. I was shocked after getting my Equifax score. I only had 4 accounts (from the same bank) with late payments. I had no BKs, chargeoffs, or any current delinquencies. My score showed a 521, and this was after 5 deletions on first round with Junum a few days ago. I was like in the bottom 3-5% of the population, which I know is a load of crap. Sad thing is that people with a bankruptcy or several chargeoffs can have a better score than me. Again FICO is crap. Example...I have only $1500.00 in credit card debt, but since I have low credit limits, this lowers my FICO score and makes me look like I am a big risk although I have never made a late payment on my CC accounts. Yet someone with the same income as me can have $10,000.00 in CC debt, but if they have very high credit limits, their debt to limit ratio is lower, and they have higher scores. Is this logical? My 2 cents.

Mike

4. JOHNNY

JOHNNY Guest

You are ALL correct... FICO sucks but we have to play the game, so learn how it all works and play the game the best you can even if you have to cheat.

5. ????

???? Guest

Your BEACON score: 813
    The information in your Equifax credit report has been summarized in a BEACON® score of 813. Most U.S. consumers score between 300 and 850. Generally, the higher your score, the more favorably a lender will view your application for credit. Compared to the national population, you are in the 93rd percentile of consumers by credit risk. A score of 813 is well above average. Studies show that for consumers with scores similar to yours, the odds of successfully repaying all their credit accounts are 4.10 times better than for people with an average score.

Slimshady :)

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

So, what are you doing here??? Helping people?

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I'M HAVING A BIG MAC CRAVING...WHEN ARE THEY ON SALE AGAIN $2.00 FOR 2?

8. PSUgirl

PSUgirl Guest

My FICO score was 605--im with junum hoping they will get some neg's off my credit and raise my score before summers over!

9. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I think the vast majority of people with those high FICO scores are people 45+ years old. Haven't applied for credit in years and have long histories...But yeah it is crap. There are no studies available to the public to show it's accuracy and the formula has never been scrutinized.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

F.I.C.O. IS ANOTHER BUSINESS LIKE THE I.R.S., EXPERIAN, TRANSUNION, AND EQUIFAX THAT ANSWER TO NOBODY!!!!

11. DuckDodger

DuckDodger Guest

Okay I'm going to ask the obvious...where are you people getting your FICO scores? When I applied for a car loan last year I was sitting in the little booth whilst the sales jerk went to "speak to the boss" well I saw my credit report in the folder and started reading it--he came back and got REAL bent out of shape saying I wasn't allowed to read it!!! Spouted some crap about confidentiality (HELLO! It's MY report) and industry-only information etc etc. Alas I didn't get to read the whole thing and didn't know what info to look for.

BTW I did not get that car, I went to a different dealer who treated me much nicer :)

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

you can get it at http://www.myfico.com

After a lot of controversy, Fair Isaac has been forced to reveal the big secret score. I can see why they didn't want to. It is arbitrary and many people are going to start raising a stink about it.

No doubt there will be more controversy as epople learn the r=truth about FICO.

13. the other

the other Well-Known Member

I agree the FICO score is wacked!

I have a 639 with no lates or negative of any kind and a decent length history.

My fiance had a 669 with a judgement and accounts that weren't his listed on the report.

14. me

me Well-Known Member

I don't think you have to be 45+ years old to get a score over 800. I'm 28 and have a score of 772. With a few removal of inquiries I am pretty sure I can get a score over 800.