My Problem! Please Advise!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Rocket, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Rocket

Rocket New Member

I am new to this board and would like some advise on what I should do in this situation. I have looked at some info here but have not had the time to go through very much.

I moved from Texas in 1996 and left behind alot of bills that were past due already when I left. I have not paid on any of them since moving. So the last date of activity is probably from 1995 or early 1996.

I had a couple of collections places contact me by mail at my grandmothers house ( not my residence) I wanted to pay the bills back and signed up for a debt management program but never made the first payment even. So now it is 2001 and I have a house that I am buying on land contract and still have 5 yrs befor I have to assume the payments(or if I cant obtain a loan at that time my contract can be extended 2-3 yrs).

So here are my questions....

1. If I try to obtain a credit report should I use my grandmothers address so that I dont update my file to my current address and the creditors find me?

2. Does the SOL apply to Texas or where I live now?

3. Where do I find a listing of SOL's for the states?

4. Should I just wait for the SOL to run out and then start disputing everything?

Since I am already buying a house and have no real reason to need the credit till I go to get a loan to pay off the balance. I pay everything in cash and put money back each month. I just felt this would be the best option. But I would really like to know everyones advise!!! Sorry for the long post but this is my story.

Rocket

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

My Problem! Please Advise!

Rocket | 1 posts since Jul 2001
    209.240.221.95 | 07.26.2001 @ 23:00

I am new to this board and would like some advise on what I should do in this situation. I have
    looked at some info here but have not had the time to go through very much.
    So here are my questions....

1. If I try to obtain a credit report should I use my grandmothers address so that I dont update my file to my current address and the creditors find me?

No! Don't ever use any false information in an attempt to avoid your bills or clean up your credit report. There is no benefit, it's morally and ethically wrong, It's probably illegal, and you will create extra problems that will come back to haunt you later. You will only be sorry in the long run if you do.

2. Does the SOL apply to Texas or where I live now?
    3. Where do I find a listing of SOL's for the states?

The above questions to SOL can be found by going to any search engine and typing in those three letters. I do have the URL for several of the good ones, but I'd have to go hunt them up and you can do that just as easily as I can.

4. Should I just wait for the SOL to run out and then start disputing everything?

No! Never put off until tomorrow that which you can do today. You will have a long hard row to hoe LEGALLY getting rid of your debts and cleaning up your credit. Whether you hire someone else to do it for you or you decide to learn how to do it and do it yourself, there is still a long hard row to hoe. Get after it now.

Since I am already buying a house and have no real reason to need the credit till I go to get a loan to pay off the balance. I pay everything in cash and put money back each month. I just felt this would be the best option.

You are looking at it all wrong. In today's world, we have a two tier financial system in place. The haves and the have nots and the difference is defined by those who have good credit and those who do not. Those who do not have it are simply living on the wrong side of the tracks in today's world. Get rid of your debts now, clean up your credit and get with the program. It's obvious that you don't understand all the benefits of the "plastic" world, but once you get that good credit status, you will start to see the difference in how you live when you have a pocket full of plastic. If you go at it right, you should be able to be completely out of debt within about a year and have just about all the credit you actually need to do just about whatever you want to do. But get with the program now, get rid of your debts, learn how to manage money and credit and you will start living a much "richer" and fuller life once that goal is accomplished.

But I would really like to know everyones advise!!! Sorry for the
    long post but this is my story.

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

The SOL question has been a biggie here but I thought the creditor had a choice of choosing the SOL of the state you live now or the SOL of the state the debt originated in.

I also believe that dealing with these debts is the answer (with the limited info I have from you but as a general thought). The only way to correct and clean up is to face the situation and start understanding it and tackling it.

I won't advise on your future use of credit except to say that in order for those scores to rise you need to have some positive tradelines on your reports. If that's important to you, you'll need to consider how to make that happen. If not, and you are only interested in dealing with the negative issues at hand, then you can do that, as well.

Finally, Think about your poor grandmother. If you were to give the wrong address, you'd be setting her up for the phone calls and letters. That's truly not fair and in her golden years, she doesn't need that aggravation. Just my 2 cents on that one but I'm a a NANA so I can say (though I'm nowhere near my golden years and don't anybody forget it! LOL)

There..hope that helps! Good luck.

Oh...one more thing. Go to www.lawdog.com for help on state laws regarding credit!