Name Changes...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CreditBlah, Aug 20, 2003.

1. CreditBlah

CreditBlah Member

Hello...new to the board here...I had a name change a few years back but had my original name restored a couple years later (both of which were court orders)....

I am getting collection notices that show my changed name but not my original name...can these be disputed even with the same social security number? I just refused a collection letter from dept of education( student loans) and marked it return to sender because of the incorrect name and let the PO know to not send me anything without my correct exact name on it...what would be the best way to dispute and ensure these mixups are deleted from the credit bureaus?

2. pd11604

pd11604 Well-Known Member

Just because your names has been changed and unchanged a few times does not mean you don't legally owe the debt!

3. CreditBlah

CreditBlah Member

That doesnt answer my problem, tell me something I dont know...what Im doing is no different than what any of you are doing...Im not a criminal for doing this...

4. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Nobody said you were a criminal :) You LEGALLY changed your name. Lots of people do it.

Have you pulled your cr's? They are probably showing your name and "aliases". Since they were court ordered, I'm assuming they are public record?

I think I would go ahead and take the letters from the CA's and stuff and tackle them head on. By refusing the letters you don't know what they say, nor what to expect. What would concern me - I believe that those certified letters may go back as "Refused" rather than undeliverable, etc. As far as the CA is concerned, they found the "right you" and you don't want to deal with them.

I know in my small claims jurisdiction, I have to send out a CMRRR before I can sue. They don't have to get it, I just have to attempt it. Don't know what is true in your state, or what was in those letters. But I'm one of those people with a fear of the unknown.

Don't have any student loans, but from what I've read here they can be monsters that will haunt you into eternity.

My suggestion is to go ahead and accept this stuff, and when necessary, you can use the name change later.

Good luck!

5. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

What you are doing IS different from what most people here do. You are flat-out trying to avoid paying your bills that you legally owe. Of course they are going to send them addressed to your old name - that's what your name was when you applied for and received them.

What law do you perceive the creditors having broken? People on this board simply make CAs, CRAs, and OCs follow the letter of the law before they pay (and the intention in most cases is to pay as long as the other side follows the law precisely).

People on this board don't make their primary goal to dodge their debts. Their primary goal is to make the other side work for their money and if theya re unwilling to follow the letter of the law, they don't get paid. So, I'll repeat my question - What law do you think the creditor broke in this case?

6. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Do you realize that if these are student loans, refusing the letters will only make it worse? For student loans, they can garnish your wages, your bank accounts, and your tax refunds. And maybe even more. The federal government will know what your name is, and was, from Social Security records if nothing else. And they don't need to sue you to do it. Perhaps this was a chance to rehab or consolidate your loans.

One of my primary philosophies is "Don't mess with the feds!!"

7. CreditBlah

CreditBlah Member

Re: Re: Name Changes...

Hi jlynn thanks for your words...Im just going to reply to you so far because at least you bother to listen and, unlike others on here, not accuse and have no business judging me...so **** off if any of you have nothing good to say cause Ill just ignore you...

Anyway, I have pulled all 3 CRs but had a credit repair business do the work for me...they were successful in removing many items in dispute...but not everything...I decided to handle this myself now after seeing the results people have had on this message board...it is amazing and inspiring...

The name changes are not public record, at least not to my knowledge, since I didnt list them in the local newspaper but i do have the court orders...

Ill follow your advice and resume the mail sent to me under the incorrect name and tackle all this...I have a letter from a collection agency representing the US dept of education...if u want to know more please let me know thanks...

8. CreditBlah

CreditBlah Member

Your right ok..I wont refuse the letters..they just come to my PO box and toss them away and started to refuse them but i definitly wont anymore thanks for that...I will resolve this with rehab...would that be best?

9. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

From what I understand, rehab is the best. I believe after 12 on-time payments they will remove your derogatory info. Search around here on the board to be sure.

By public record, I mean anybody that comes looking can see the court papers.

Remain calm with the other posters. Some of them practice tough love to see if someone is trolling for "illegal" advice. Your name changes, even though you may have a perfectly valid reason (that I don't need to know) probably raised some suspicions.

10. tmitchell

Who judged you??? We stated facts: you took out lonas under NAME1. you changed your name to NAME2. You then tried to get out from under the loans by claiming they were sending them to the wrong person.

Who made any judgements? That's the problem with lots of folks here. As soon as they hear something they don't like, they turn into crybabies. Be an adult and take good advice when it's given whether you like it or not.

Also, you did not answer my original question - what laws do you perceive the OC/CA having broken?

11. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

He never asked about broken laws on the part of the OC/CA.

12. tmitchell

The poster stated that he wasn't doing anything different than what everyone else on this board is doing.

I take umbrage with that statement because what he is doing is trying to dodge debts based on name changes. Most people here have all intentions to pay as long as the other side follows the letter of the law. If he is doing what everyone else is doing, there must be some law that he thinks the creditor did not follow (since this is the concept most on this board follow).

That is why I asked the question.

13. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

OIC. I have brain flatulence occasionally, and misread something. Thought maybe you might have had one of those moments. I wasn't trying to insult you.

jlynn

14. tmitchell

No insult taken

15. CreditBlah

CreditBlah Member

Ok...Ill elaborate a bit more...I changed my name for personal family reasons which have absolutly nothing to do with whether i have great or poor credit, it had to get done...there u have it....

I was getting really annoyed receiving bills under my changed name thats all...and thought well if they cant get it right then i wont accept the bill...if they want their money bad enough theyll have to get my name right is all Im saying...

16. jlynn

jlynn Well-Known Member

Well, now you know, you will need to tackle these head on. I would read the three INTRO threads, and in the Hall of Fame threads there are several good ones, such as What is Validation, etc.

If you read those you will have a good idea how to get started. Sounds like your student loans may be your top priority. Search around--I know there are several good explanations of what to do and how to get your loans in rehab, and then consolidated.

Best of luck!

17. CreditBlah

CreditBlah Member

I will indeed do all that thanks so much for listening jlynn...

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

6 posts and we already are into---->judging me...so **** off if any

19. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

The name changes are not public record, at least not to my knowledge, since I didn't list them in the local newspapers but I do have the court orders...
    CreditBlah | 6 posts since Aug 2003 65.143.168.15 | 08.20.2003 @ 09:11
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    The name changes are in the courts files which are public records:
    This is what makes them public records not the newspapers.