Nanac

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

You mentioned in a earlier post about looking up a company to see if the CA had a license to collect in your state. Is there a website for this or did you have to call a number and if so how do you go about looking this up online/phone number??

Thanks
    Mom

2. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Not Nana but.....

You can usually visit your state government's website. Look for a link to the department that handles corporations or the Secretary of State in some states. Most have a search function that allows you to look up the company by name, and determine if they have filed to do business in the state. Many provide information on whether they have paid their annual fees. You can also locate a "registered" or "statutory" agent, which is the person you serve process on if filing a suit.

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

NanaC here

I did do a search of the govt website..and found most of the information in a search for the state Attorney General's website..

CO has their info in PDF format, IL has theirs in a searchable database. It also will tell you, in some cases, if there are disciplinary actions in play or in the past.

4. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Mom

Which state you thinking of?

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: Mom

Virginia, I searched their home state site and found nothing. Maybe I am not looking right for it???

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Re: Mom

I'll go see what I come up with! GEt back to you

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok MOM

I have bad news..maybe..this is what was listed for Virginia collections at lawdog

"Collection Agency Licensing Requirements:

There is no licensing or bond requirements for conducting collection activities in the State of Virginia"

However, what state is the collection agency in..that is also a factor! If you let me know, I'll tell you what I can..

8. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

IN my case

I decided to go read the Illinois law regarding the collection agency that is representing themselves to me as licensed, even so far as providing me a number (which is expired for over a year). Nope, I REALLY don't think I'll worry too much about them..Intend to write them back with the validation letter (as to their right to collection) and a sweet little blurb about their illegal practice and penalities. I bet they find my check they are pretending to not have received. (Call it nana's instinct!)

225 ILCS 425/4.5)
    Sec. 4.5. Unlicensed practice; violation; civil penalty.
    (a) Any person who practices, offers to practice, attempts to
    practice, or holds oneself out to practice as a collection agency
    without being licensed under this Act shall, in addition to any other
    penalty provided by law, pay a civil penalty to the Department in an
    amount not to exceed $5,000 for each offense as determined by the
    Department. The civil penalty shall be assessed by the Department after
    a hearing is held in accordance with the provisions set forth in this
    Act regarding the provision of a hearing for the discipline of a
    licensee.
    (b) The Department has the authority and power to investigate any
    and all unlicensed activity.
    (c) The civil penalty shall be paid within 60 days after the
    effective date of the order imposing the civil penalty. The order shall
    constitute a judgment and may be filed and execution had thereon in the
    same manner as any judgment from any court of record.
    (Source: P.A. 89-474, eff. 6-18-96.)

9. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Re: IN my case

Damn they have an aegncy in Va and FL:( But thanks so much for taking the time to look that up.

Mom

10. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

But

Hmmm...FL? Are they using that as a return address? Which is their main agency?

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

florida law

Apparently, Florida is governed by laws on collections as stated below:

The State of Florida requires both commercial collection agencies and consumer collection agencies to register with the Department of Banking and Finance and annually renew such registration, providing the registration fee, information, and surety bond.

Part V, Chapter 559 of the Florida Statutes sets forth the registration requirements, procedures and penalties for commercial collection agencies which fail to comply with these requirements.

Part VI, Chapter 559 of the Florida Statutes set forth requirements for registration, procedures, enforcement action against violations, prohibited collection activities, consumer complaints, and both civil and criminal penalties against consumer collection agencies which fail to comply with these requirements.

Detailed information on collection agency licensing requirements may be obtained from the Office of Comptroller Department of Banking and Finance State of Florida Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0350