NCO or NCO GREAT TRUST - on yo

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mba, Mar 19, 2000.

1. mba

mba Well-Known Member

Has anybody discovered any entry on their consumer credit report posted by a creditor known as "NCO" or "NCO GREAT TRUST"?

I am interested in hearing from persons on whose credit reports NCO is listed as a creditor.

Thank you.

March 19, 2000

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

RE: NCO or NCO GREAT TRUST - o

NCO Is a collection agency for Major Banks, doctors and student loans. They are 50 locations nationwide. I have done quite a few negotiations with them and they are quite easy to deal with. They also appear to buy the debts for pennies on the dollars through Great Trust Investors.(not just collect for a percentage.) Most recently, I settled a 4300.00 for 1150.00 for a client. They put it in writing as we required and when it was disputed to the bureaus after the payoff, they quickly did as they agreed in writing to do. I have had no problems in dealing with them. If you have a debt they are collecting on. Verifiy through the bureaus before you negotiate to be sure they still own it and can validate it.

3. Doris K.

Doris K. Well-Known Member

It's nice to have you back with us, Kristi! :)

4. Kathy

Kathy Guest

I also have numerous listings on my Equifax report with NCO, they don't list what the dept is from only an amount. They are not listed with the other two CRA. I have often wondered who they are. They are on my list of disputes to do.

Has anyone ever disputed NCO listing and had them removed? If they are verified what kind of offer and conditions should I make?

5. mba

mba Well-Known Member

Somebody just sent me an e-mail with the message that follows without posting it here. I would like to respond to the person who sent me the e-mail but the sender is not identified. Here is the e-mail I received:

"I also have numerous listings on my Equifax report with NCO, they don't list what the dept is from only an amount. They are not listed with the other two CRA. I have often wondered who they are. They are on my list of disputes to do.

"Has anyone ever disputed NCO listing and had them removed? If they are verified what kind of offer and conditions should I make?"

Please give me your e-mail address or your phone or fax number so that I can reach you.

MBA
    Pittsburgh, PA
    March 19, 2000 at 7:50 P.M. EST
    e-mail: mba9999@aol.com

6. mba

mba Well-Known Member

Thanks for your response. It did not appear to me that the entries were placed on my credit report in error. Nor were the entries on open or collection accounts. Rather, they were the same accounts previously reported by the real creditor. The negative entries remained on my credit report for seven years and then came off my report. NCO reported the same "stale" accounts (written off in 1991 by the original creditor) as open collection accounts thereby starting the seven year period of this being reported again on my credit report.

I have sued the "creditor". I may very well not be the only person whose credit report contains an entry reported by the creditor as a current account in collection when the real state of facts is that the creditor had entered its negative entry as a new account when really the account involved was an old stale account.

In my lawsuit, Requests for Admission were served upon the creditor. They generally show what the lawsuit is all about.

I am interested in hearing from other persons to whom the same thing may have happened.

MBA March 19, 2000 at 8:00 P.M. EST

REQUESTS FOR ADMISSION
    Defendant is required pursuant to the Pennsylvania Rules of Civil Procedure and local Rules of Court to Admit the truth of each of the following facts for purposes of this Civil Action:

1. Attached hereto and identified as EXHIBIT 1 is a photocopy of three entries pertaining to Defendant that appeared on Plaintiff's consumer credit report prepared by Trans Union and printed 12/23/1999.
    ANSWER:

2. Attached hereto and identified as EXHIBIT 2 is a photocopy of three entries pertaining to MBNA AMERICA BANK that had appeared on Plaintiff's consumer credit report prepared by Trans Union printed 12/02/1997.
    ANSWER:

3. The three NCO accounts on Exhibit 1 attached hereto are the same three MBNA AMERICA BANK accounts that appear on Exhibit 2 attached hereto.
    ANSWER:

4. On or about June 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313773 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

5. On or about July 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313773 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

6. On or about August 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313773 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

7. On or about September 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313773 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

8. On or about October 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313773 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

9. On or about November 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313773 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

10. On or about December 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313773 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

11. On or about January 2000, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313773 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

12. Defendant did not update its report to Trans Union
    concerning Defendant's account 313773 from that date when Defendant first reported said account through January 14, 2000.
    ANSWER:

13. As of 10:00 A.M. on Monday, January 17, 2000, reference to Defendant's account 313773 pertaining to Plaintiff appeared on the consumer credit report Trans Union maintained on Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

14. At all times material, Defendant was a furnisher of information to a consumer reporting agency in furnishing to Trans Union information about Defendant's account 313773 pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

15. At all times material, Trans Union was and is a consumer reporting agency to which Defendant provided information about Defendant's account 313773 pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

16. 15 U.S.C. §1681s-2 at all times material prohibited Defendant from reporting information about Defendant's account 313773 pertaining to Plaintiff to Trans Union with actual knowledge of errors.
    ANSWER:

17. Defendant in reporting Defendant's account 313773 to Trans Union intentionally reported that said account had been placed for collection with Defendant in June 1999 and that the status of said account as of October 1999 was an open collection account without also reporting to Trans Union that said account was actually an account opened by MBNA America Bank, N.A. that said bank had written off in November 1991, reference to which had previously appeared for a period of seven years on Plaintiff's consumer credit report at Trans Union.
    ANSWER:

18. At all times material, with reference to Defendant's account 313773, Defendant knew that Defendant, as a person who furnishes information to a consumer reporting agency regarding a delinquent account being placed for collection, charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action shall, not later than 90 days after furnishing the information, notify the agency of the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action, so that the agency will know how long to keep the information in the consumers file.
    ANSWER:

19. During October 1999, Defendant updated its report to Trans Union about Defendant's account 313773, and in so doing misinformed Trans Union of the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action.
    ANSWER:

20. With reference to Defendant's account 313773 concerning Plaintiff, as a result of Defendant having misrepresented to Trans Union the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action, as set forth above, Trans Union listed Defendant's account 313773 as an open current collection account on a consumer credit report concerning Plaintiff that Trans Union printed on December 23, 1999.
    ANSWER:

21. On or about June 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313775 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

22. On or about July 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313775 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

23. On or about August 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313775 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

24. On or about September 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313775 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

25. On or about October 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313775 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

26. On or about November 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313775 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

27. On or about December 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313775 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

28. On or about January 2000, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313775 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

29. Defendant did not update its report to Trans Union
    concerning Defendant's account 313775 from that date when Defendant first reported said account through January 14, 2000.
    ANSWER:

30. As of 10:00 A.M. on Monday, January 17, 2000, reference to Defendant's account 313775 pertaining to Plaintiff appeared on the consumer credit report Trans Union maintained on Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

31. At all times material, Defendant was a furnisher of information to a consumer reporting agency in furnishing to Trans Union information about Defendant's account 313775 pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

32. At all times material, Trans Union was and is a consumer reporting agency to which Defendant provided information about Defendant's account 313775 pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

33. 15 U.S.C. §1681s-2 at all times material prohibited Defendant from reporting to Trans Union information about Defendant's account 313775 pertaining to Plaintiff with actual knowledge of errors.
    ANSWER:

34. Defendant in reporting Defendant's account 313775 to Trans Union reported that said account had been placed for collection with Defendant in June 1999 and that the status of said account as of October 1999 was an open collection account without also reporting to Trans Union that said account was actually an account opened by MBNA America Bank, N.A. that said bank had written off in November 1991, reference to which had previously appeared for a period of seven years on Plaintiff's consumer credit report at Trans Union.
    ANSWER:

35. At all times material, with reference to Defendant's account 313775, Defendant knew that Defendant, as a person who furnishes information to a consumer reporting agency regarding a delinquent account being placed for collection, charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action shall, not later than 90 days after furnishing the information, notify the agency of the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action, so that the agency will know how long to keep the information in the consumers file.
    ANSWER:

36. During October 1999, Defendant updated its report to Trans Union about Defendant's account 313775, and in so doing misinformed Trans Union of the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action.
    ANSWER:

37. With reference to Defendant's account 313775 concerning Plaintiff, as a result of Defendant having misrepresented to Trans Union the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action, as set forth above, Trans Union listed Defendant's account 313775 as an open current collection account on a consumer credit report pertaining to Plaintiff printed by Trans Union on December 23, 1999.
    ANSWER:

38. On or about June 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313776 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

39. On or about July 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313776 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

40. On or about August 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313776 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

41. On or about September 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313776 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

42. On or about October 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313776 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

43. On or about November 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313776 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

44. On or about December 1999, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313776 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

45. On or about January 2000, Defendant reported to Trans Union Defendant's account 313776 as a collection record open account pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

46. Defendant did not update its report to Trans Union
    concerning Defendant's account 313776 from that date when Defendant first reported said account through January 14, 2000.
    ANSWER:

47. As of 10:00 A.M. on Monday, January 17, 2000, reference to Defendant's account 313776 pertaining to Plaintiff appeared on the consumer credit report Trans Union maintained on Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

48. At all times material, Defendant was a furnisher of information to a consumer reporting agency in furnishing to Trans Union information about Defendant's account 313776 pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

49. At all times material, Trans Union was and is a consumer reporting agency to which Defendant provided information about Defendant's account 313776 pertaining to Plaintiff.
    ANSWER:

50. 15 U.S.C. §1681s-2 at all times material prohibited Defendant from reporting to Trans Union information about Defendant's account 313776 pertaining to Plaintiff with actual knowledge of errors.
    ANSWER:

51. Defendant in reporting Defendant's account 313776 to Trans Union reported that said account had been placed for collection with Defendant in June 1999 and that the status of said account as of October 1999 was an open collection account without also reporting to Trans Union that said account was actually an account opened by MBNA America Bank, N.A. that said bank had written off in November 1991, reference to which had previously appeared for a period of seven years on Plaintiff's consumer credit report at Trans Union.
    ANSWER:

52. At all times material, with reference to Defendant's account 313776, Defendant knew that Defendant, as a person who furnishes information to a consumer reporting agency regarding a delinquent account being placed for collection, charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action shall, not later than 90 days after furnishing the information, notify the agency of the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action, so that the agency will know how long to keep the information in the consumers file.
    ANSWER:

53. During October 1999, Defendant updated its report to Trans Union about Defendant's account 313776, and in so doing misinformed Trans Union of the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action.
    ANSWER:

54. With reference to Defendant's account 313776 concerning Plaintiff, as a result of Defendant having misrepresented to Trans Union the month and year of the commencement of the delinquency that immediately preceded the action, as set forth above, Trans Union listed Defendant's account 313776 as an open current collection account on a consumer credit report pertaining to Plaintiff printed by Trans Union on December 23, 1999.
    ANSWER:

55. At all times during the period of time June 1, 1999 through January 14, 2000, Defendant knew that a consumer credit reporting agency must exclude from consumer reports it prepares any account placed for collection or charged to profit and loss which antedates the report by more than seven years.
    ANSWER:

56. In order to circumvent Trans Union's excluding from Plaintiff's consumer report Defendant's accounts 313773, 313775 and 313776, pertaining to Plaintiff, each of which had been charged off to profit and loss during the year 1991, Defendant reported each account as a new account placed for collection in June 1999.
    ANSWER:

57. Plaintiff by letter to Defendant dated and mailed on December 29, 1999, demanded that Defendant request Trans Union to remove from Plaintiff's consumer credit report reference to Defendant's accounts 313773, 313775 and 313776.
    ANSWER:

58. Defendant received a letter from Plaintiff dated December 29, 1999 which letter demanded that Defendant remove each of the three adverse entries pertaining to Defendant's accounts 313773, 313775 and 313776 reported by Defendant to Trans Union.
    ANSWER:

59. Defendant received the letter referred to in Request for Admission 58 immediately above on January 3, 2000.
    ANSWER:

60. Plaintiff by facsimile communication to Defendant on December 29, 1999 demanded that Defendant remove each of the three adverse entries pertaining to Defendant's accounts 313773, 313775 and 313776 which Defendant had reported to Trans Union.
    ANSWER:

61. Defendant received from Plaintiff on December 29, 1999 the facsimile communication referred to in Request for Admission 60 immediately above.
    ANSWER:

Kristi wrote:
    -------------------------------
    NCO Is a collection agency for Major Banks, doctors and student loans. They are 50 locations nationwide. I have done quite a few negotiations with them and they are quite easy to deal with. They also appear to buy the debts for pennies on the dollars through Great Trust Investors.(not just collect for a percentage.) Most recently, I settled a 4300.00 for 1150.00 for a client. They put it in writing as we required and when it was disputed to the bureaus after the payoff, they quickly did as they agreed in writing to do. I have had no problems in dealing with them. If you have a debt they are collecting on. Verifiy through the bureaus before you negotiate to be sure they still own it and can validate it.

7. Kathy

Kathy Guest

The message does appear up above under my name - Kathy. Not sure why it came across with out it. Sorry. I didn't put my e-mail address in because it contains both my first and last name and I am fearful that someone from the credit bureaus will pick up on my restoration process.

8. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

If you want to be able to communicate with people on this board relative anonymously, go get a free e-mail account at one of the big portal sites like MSN Hotmail, Mailcity, Lycos, or Netscape. Make up a username. Fabricate the info they request. It's not verified other than for obvious things like an impossible birthdate or zip code. The only way that anyone can find out who you really are is by getting a subpoena to force disclosure from the mail service of the server log to get the IP that you logged in from and another subpoena to force your ISP to disclose your personal information. The CRAs are far too busy screwing up other people's credit histories to bother tracking you down, plus they have no grounds for a lawsuit anyhow.

9. mba

mba Well-Known Member

I have no intention of communicating anonymously, and I have no fear of credit reporting companies. Thanks for the info though. MBA9999@aol.com

10. Past Suffe

Past Suffe Guest

I had an entry from these extortionists placed on my credit file late last year. I had a student visa that was charged off in 1991. It had been purged from all 3 credit files. Well lo and behold, 3 years after the statute of limitations had expired, these idiots purchase my account and place it on my credit reports again. Not only have they tacked on outlandish fees, they have changed the date of last activity from 1991 to 1995, which is how this ended up on my credit report again. Great Trust is a pseudonymn for NationsBank...I got this information from NationsBank (Bank of America). I also got them to send documentation verifying the date of last activity. I couldn't get the CRA's to contact the original creditor, and I couldn't get the original creditor to contact NCO. NCO refused to contact the original creditor, and once I provided proof that their information was incorrect, they refused to talk to me. Fortunately, I convinced a rep from Equifax to call Nationsbank and had the entry removed. Experian and Trans Union eventually followed suit. This company has obviously been purchasing collection accounts from other collection companies and altering information. It's a huge company, too.. So the battle is not easy, but it is win-a-ble.

Good luck.

11. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

Actually I was addressing my remarks to Kathy. She was reluctant to post her e-mail address because it was basically some form of her real name. If you consult the thread heiarchy, you will note that I posted my response to her response to your post and not directly to your post. Please accept my apologies if I created any confusion for you.

12. mba

mba Well-Known Member

When you say this was on your credit reports late last year, do you mean 1999? Where are you located? Did NCO ever send you any letter informing you that they had bought the paper?

Your response to this posting will certainly be appreciated.

Mark Aronson
    mba9999@aol.com
    Pittsburgh, PA
    March 20, 2000

Past Sufferer wrote:
    I had an entry from these extortionists placed on my credit file late last year. I had a student visa that was charged off in 1991. It had been purged from all 3 credit files. Well lo and behold, 3 years after the statute of limitations had expired, these idiots purchase my account and place it on my credit reports again. Not only have they tacked on outlandish fees, they have changed the date of last activity from 1991 to 1995, which is how this ended up on my credit report again. Great Trust is a pseudonymn for NationsBank...I got this information from NationsBank (Bank of America). I also got them to send documentation verifying the date of last activity. I couldn't get the CRA's to contact the original creditor, and I couldn't get the original creditor to contact NCO. NCO refused to contact the original creditor, and once I provided proof that their information was incorrect, they refused to talk to me. Fortunately, I convinced a rep from Equifax to call Nationsbank and had....

13. mba

mba Well-Known Member

To Kathy from MBA 3-23-2000

Kathy, you responded on Sunday to a posting of mine, and I would like to be able to talk to you about the NCO postings to your Equifax credit report. Please contact me at mba9999@aol.com and give me your e-mail address and I will provide you with an 800 number so that you can call me. Thank you very much.

Mark B. Aronson

P.S. I have sued NCO and a hearing is scheduled for April 5th. I want to be able to identify other persons in the same boat as I am. Thanks!!!!!

Kathy wrote:
    I also have numerous listings on my Equifax report with NCO, they don't list what the dept is from only an amount. They are not listed with the other two CRA. I have often wondered who they are. They are on my list of disputes to do.

Has anyone ever disputed NCO listing and had them removed? If they are verified what kind of offer and conditions should I make?

14. mba

mba Well-Known Member

Response to Kathy

Kathy, NCO had never written to me that they were reporting me to the credit bureau. I had obtained my report from Trans Union in December and discovered three entries from NCO. I was able in time to determine that these three entries had previously appeared on my credit report for 7 years in the name of the original creditor and had come off of my credit report in 1998. These accounts had been written off by the bank in 1991. I believe that NCO acquired these accounts from another company known as Commercial Financial Services. Commercial Financial Services had at one point in time tried to collect these same three accounts from me.
    If Commercial Financial Services was ever in touch with you, and you know what account they were trying to collect, check and see if the balances stated on your Equifax
    credit report as owing to NCO are the same amounts that Commercial Financial Services may have tried to collect from you. The three original accounts that NCO reported in its own name as owing to NCO by me were with MBNA America Bank. If you had any accounts with MBNA America Bank, it is possible that certain of the NCO entries concern MBNA America Bank.

I sued NCO for providing improper information about me and the three accounts to Trans Union and the matter is coming up in Court on April 5th.

Any information you can provide to me should be of help to me in my case as I am seeking punitive damages. I assert that what they did to me they did to others. You appear to be one of the other people. Please be in touch with me.

You inquired in your posting of 3-19-99 "Has anyone ever disputed NCO listing and had them removed? If they are verified what kind of offer and conditions should I make." I never offered any money to them. Rather, I sued them and I expect to win money from them.

Several people at the Office of Comsumer Protection of the Attorney General of Pennsylvania have been in touch with me. I believe that the practices of NCO is "of interest" to them as they requested a copy of my file and I have provided it to them.
    A lawyer on their staff told me yesterday by telephone that the Federal Trade Commission should be interested in this as well.

Mark Aronson
    mba9999@aol.com
    March 23, 2000

15. mba

mba Well-Known Member

TO KATHY FROM MBA re: NCO 3-30

Kathy:

I have heard from several people that NCO had appeared on their credit report and that they determined that these were duplicate postings of other accounts that they had with MBNA America Bank or Discover Card, or others.

I am preparing for a hearing in Court next Wednesday on a case I (thru my lawyers) filed against NCO for reporting to Trans Union three old MBNA American Bank accounts that were written off in 1991 and which had been on my credit report for 7 years but then came off. NCO started the 7 year process all over again by reporting these 3 accounts in its own name. NCO did not write to me to tell me about this. I only learned of their three entries when I obtained a copy of my credit report from Trans Union in December. The NCO entries stated that these accounts were currently in collection as of June 1999. I would love to hear from you about what appeared on your credit report. I am seeking punitive damages from NCO and my lawyer will hopefully use any information I learn about others to show that this is a widespread practice of NCO and did not just inadvertantly happen to me.

I have established 800 service, so please call me at my expense about this at
    888-243-2224. I look forward to hearing from you.

Mark Aronson
    Pittsburgh, PA
    mba9999@aol.com
    March 30, 2000

Kathy wrote: