Need a new computer.....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by author_22, Oct 17, 2001.

1. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

MY computer is from 1996 and obsolete as @@@@

I use my brother's and I really need my own that I can use.

Does anyone know a company who will finance me at a decent rate? I have 624 EQ, 580 TU, and 676 EX as of today.

Steph

2. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Steph-

Any derog. (w/in 2 years) on your credit? If not, try Dell (Household?) or Compaq (MBNA).

You'll get better rates trying for a Visa/MC (Nextcard, Citi, ?) and using that.

Good luck,
    mj

3. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

1996? Does it have a hand crank on the side? Does the monitor say etch-a-sketch? How can you stand it? :p

How much of a machine do you need?

If you just want a 'good' , solid system and are not going to be playing high end video games, just get an e-machine. These are good, solid, machines with good warranties and support.

Think of them as the Southwest Airlines of the computer world. Most places, like Tiger Direct, are selling a 1ghz machine with 128MB ram and a cd burner for 499.00. Thats's a great deal, and you can get a slightly lesser model for $399.00.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/emachines/index.asp

At that price you can just 'exercise your credit' and use one of your cards....

You can use your monitor that you have now, or check out this deal.....

Viewsonic A70 17" computer monitor (sku 200-781) at Office Depot for $60.00 after rebate! It is 100.00 then apply this rebate
    http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/REBATE_Q401_17_TP_0901.pdf
    for $40.00 off.

Dell has some special financing too and they are nice machines. Here is a coupon code for 10% off until October 31st. 69D27E145C9 You also get free shipping.

New P4 chip is coming out within a month so should spur a round of price cuts on trailing edge systems...especially with the weak economy and Christmas coming up.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

4. supershawn

And buy it from tiger, then open a bank acount with Everbank, http://www.tigerdirect.com/everbank/index.asp ,
    and they will give you 100.00 back!

How's that for a deal?

As far as the bank, WSFS, it is a popular bank in Delaware where I grew up. No worries there....

Shawn

5. ALAN

ALAN Well-Known Member

I would like to comment on the new computer aspect of your inquiry.

Whatever you do, BUY A DELL. I bought mine about a year and a half ago and I love it to death. No problems, it's a solid machine, powerful and unquestionably reliable. It may cost a bit more than other machines on the market, but it is well worth it in the long run. I'm a computer technician and I know the ins and outs of computers, but if I had a choice to build my own system or buy one from a company, I would go with DELL. Their machines are amazing.

[​IMG]

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

or just buy a small clone pc and have a computer buddy hook it up. I priced a low end box the other day complete (no monitor use yours) for like $362 bucks. like celeron 533,256megs ram,cdrom,floppy,case,keyboard,mouse,20gig drive.

Think hard before financing something that will be obsolete by the time the financing runs out.. (6 months is obsolete these days).

7. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

My FICO is 680 and I couldn't get financing from Dell or Compaq or HP. I agree that Dell computers are top-notch but so are Gateway ones and I've come to the conclusion that since configuring my own online Gateway and Dell come out to about the same price, but with Gateway you get more for your money. They have Windows XP, cheaper graphics cards, video capture for when those DVD drives become recordable soon, and they will finance almost anyone. Be prepared to pay a higher interest rate as I did (see my thread on Gateway from 10/17/01) but in the long run it won't matter too much, that is unless you take the full 36 or 48 months to pay it off. If not, then interest rates aren't so bad. Good luck to you!

8. fingrrrl

fingrrrl Well-Known Member

I don't know sam, I disagree a little with what you say that in 6 months it might be obsolete. While I am no soothsayer and what you say might very well turn out to be true, I'm still pretty confident that financing a computer now is not bad in the long run. There's a bigger difference between a computer from 1996 and a computer from 2001, then there ever could be between a computer from October 2001 and a computer from April 2002. At least now, with bigger memories, hard drives, gigahertz, a computer now would be able to take a new application or product from say a year from now. If you try to hook a new printer up to my 1996 computer, it'll probably blow up! :) But oh well...soon I shall be rid of it.

9. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Sam, I got my computer from www.ecost.com and paid about what you did. Mine is an HP Pavilion, CD-RW, 184MB RAM (I think), AMD Processor, and came completely loaded with software. THe cost was around $400 which included a mouse, mousepad and keyboard.

I think that you should look around at other options before going for an entirely new system. Good Luck

***Edit***

I just checked out e-cost and found a 900MHZ AMD tower for $505. Here's the link:
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?action=techspec&dpno=963764#scroll

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I love my DELL. If you apply online they pull Experian for checks and most people are granted a $5000 limit. I would suggest searching their "outlet" where you can save 15-20% on systems.

11. Larissa

Larissa Well-Known Member

I have 2 computers at home...a Gateway with a 200 mghz from 1997/98? and a Dell bought in February...933 mhz...you do notice the difference in the speed a bit, but really, you could probably buy a Dell with 1 Ghz fairly cheap as soon as the P4 comes out, like someone said, and it will be a great machine. I would recommend either one of these companies, they both have great customer service...I got a new monitor(broke in shipping) new floppy drive(kid stuck a silver dollar in it) and new CD Rom(don't know what happened there, but the new one was better) for the Gateway for free due to warranty, and the reps were very helpful and never gave me any trouble. I haven't had any probs with my Dell, but have hear their service is great too. I ordered the Dell from their web site (paid cash) and had the PC within 2 weeks...easy to set up, it's great.

12. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

Derogs are all 3-5 years old.

13. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Does anyone listen to me? WHy finance at some high interest rate? Why don't you go to that site and get a computer and put it on your Citi? You have one, don't you? Then you won't have to worry about going over the 90 days for same as cash, and another inquiry if you get declined.

Just check out the link, would you please?

14. KristyW

KristyW Well-Known Member

My last two computers were Dells, and I have never had a problem with them. Just one more thing I would mention, if possible spend extra money on RAM. 256 M is the minimum, IMO, that you should get. I have 1 Gig, but then I develop software for a living.

15. supershawn

Erica-

What did you say?

I wasn't really paying attention....

Shawn

16. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Very funny SS. LOL