Need advice - Inquiries

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by andy, Aug 25, 2001.

1. andy

andy New Member

I am not applying for credit, yet I had 30+ inquiries made on my credit during the past 12 months. How do I STOP creditors from pulling my credit? NEED HELP!

Andy

2. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Call the Opt-Out number and they will stop sending you promotional credit stuff. Also, if you live in a state that allows your auto insurance carrier to pull a CR then, there is nothing you can do about that. Maybe Breeze can correct me if I am wrong about the auto insurance thing. Good luck!

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Andy, are these hard inquiries?

4. andy

andy New Member

Thank you soooo much for pointing me in the right direction. Where, how do I find the opt out number?

I do not have an updated credit report at this time. Learned of the inquiries from a letter from one of the bureaus to notify me of ALL of those inquiries.

Do you have a number I can call?

Andy

5. andy

andy New Member

Do not know for sure what you mean. They are credit card companies etc... to the best of my knowledge. They do show on the credit report. I pulled one a little less than a year ago and was confused by the number of inq. Then a month ago I got a letter in the mail alerting me of all of the inquiry activity. Now I am trying to stop the bleeding. Thanks for any advice on how to put a STOP to random unathorized credit checks.

Andy

6. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Andy, the credit reports will have headings that differentiate between inquiries that others can see and inquiries that only you can see. You might check that out and let us know because it will help with the advice we give.

The Opt out plan will help for sure but if these are hard (the kind others who pull your report can see), and you didn't initiate them, that's a much more serious issue.

7. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Andy,

The number to opt out is (888) 5-OPTOUT. It will let you opt out from all three credit bureaus for either two years (press 1) or permanently (press 2). When you speak of 30+ inquiries, are they hard inquiries (usually just a company's name eg. Discover) or are they soft inquires (eg. Discover-AR or PRM-Citibank). If they're hard inquiries and you haven't applied for any credit recently I would pull all three credit reports to verify that the inquires are actually showing. You could be a victim of fraud.

Dani

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yes, what they said. You could be a victim of ID theft. And many times that is a roommate or family member - someone who has access to you information because they are in your home.

9. Kittw1

Kittw1 Well-Known Member

It may be a pain in the butt, but you can have an alert placed on your files. Thing is is that every time you apply for something, the potemtial credit grantor will have to call in to the CRB and you will have to provide certain info, before an OK is given.