Need Advice - Uncertain...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Gregory, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

I have an old debt with Shell Oil that is 9-10 years old. It is not on my credit reports. I received a letter yesterday from Allied Interstate that they had purchased the debt and are willing to settle the account. The balance was $504.00 and are willing to take $202.00 for complete settlement of the account. I am thinking about doing it, but if I do, will the item be reinserted in my credit reports as a paid collection? I do owe the $ and CA's have been trying for years to collect, but I have always just blown them off. This seems like a good deal - any advice???
    Thanks!!!!
    Gregory

2. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Past the SOL...I'd forget about it.

3. tom65432

tom65432 Well-Known Member

Whether or not they can put it on your credit reports as a paid collection is not the issue. They probably will. If they do, you will have to fight to get it off. Why bother? It is not worth the risk. Just do not pay.

If you feel morally obligated to pay, give the money to charity instead.

If you learn nothing else from this board, learn that CA's will lie, cheat and steal. They will never help you - only hurt you.

4. EdG

EdG Well-Known Member

FYI I dealt with Allied Interstate last year for one of my student loans. They are a very evil bunch. They never reported any of my loan payments to the guarantee agency and dinged the hell out of my credit report with inquiries. I passionately hate them. Don't give them any rope they'll try and hang you with it.

5. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Can anyone think of someone who needs the money more than the collection agency does? Someone...in New York for instance?

6. danrs

danrs Well-Known Member

Don't do it. The debt is probably more than double past the statute of limitations, check for your state.

AND, while it can't legally be reported now, if you pay it, they will more than likely report it, and do so for another 7 years, even though that too would be illegal if you paid lump sum. If you made payments, they could do it, as making a payment not only resets the 7 year clock, it will also reset the statute of limitations clock.

These people prey on the ignorance (of the system) of the average consumer when it comes to these things. Not only will it do NOTHING for you to pay it off, it will probably hurt you, don't trust them.

Ignore the letter, that is after you've had a good laugh over it.

danrs

7. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

It's a raw deal cause you don't owe them anything!

8. lbrown59

YEP= there are the bad guys in the black hats!

9. lbrown59

Let them keep the rope so U can hang them with it!

10. lbrown59

Very good advice.