Need Advice..woke up sleeping giant

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by cibomatto, Jun 29, 2002.

1. MandyB

MandyB Well-Known Member

Re: Need Advice..woke up sleeping g

Thanks!

2. JohnOG

JohnOG Well-Known Member

nugentk2,

Great detective work. Well, I guess I was pretty much correct in how I interpreted the info. Yes, the SCNL code is so nebulous. I doubt that a consumer would notice it as anything out of the ordinary when posted on their report when one considers how busy a CR actually is with all the acronyms and since the consumer is concentrating on trade lines. One day it's there and one day it's gone. You would have to be on the lookout for that each time. It should probably say in bold type: Your report is being monitored by this CA, but then again that would defeat the purpose - wouldn't it?

As far as privacy, the CRB is in a roundabout way letting you know via the insertion of the code, so they are not "sort of" doing it behind your back without you knowing or being advised. Also there appear to be services out there that will e-mail the consumer when there is a change on the CR, however whether a SCNL code added constitutes a change is a good question. So if we can be alerted to changes, so can the CA's of the world. The CRB is simply the "hired gun" acting as the mediator of the information for parties concerned. In the case of this service they provide, they are neither reporting true or untrue inaccurate info, they are just providing a service of productivity to their enduser. I am willing to bet that nothing can be found as a violation in this case with regard to the CRB in providing this service. How they do it though, is an interesting question. It's sad, very sad!!

3. Maggie75

Maggie75 Well-Known Member

PBM/Nave ??

have you considered posting this in the FAQ section

also maybe taking out the excerpts that speak to the Experian product and alerting board members to it by posting under a different thread?

if someone is impatient, they may just read the top portion and not get to the Experian product that alerts the sleeping giants

this could be really important for some consumers

4. cibomatto

cibomatto Well-Known Member

I feel proud that I started this thread.. LOL....

5. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Pat, Pat, Pat on the back.

:)

6. JohnOG

JohnOG Well-Known Member

I agree - great idea!

7. nugentk2

nugentk2 Well-Known Member

How about taking it a step further and seeing if the board would consider lobbying for Privacy Rights vs Technology Information Age? Maybe, we can make changes to 1) Prevent the CRA from making more money on our information to include OPTING Out Privacy 2) Having Equal Rights to Notification when that flag is put on our account 3) Upping the ante on our response dead lines to 10 - 15 days since everyone is online why should we wait 30 days anymore. They don't!

8. nugentk2

nugentk2 Well-Known Member

Making Real Changes

I guess this post is now a dead issue?

9. JohnOG

JohnOG Well-Known Member

Re: Making Real Changes

nugentk2,

It's not a dead issue and the ideas are good, but to implement them or have changes would be a major challenge. It would take a concerted effort by many to make that happen - almost a full time job in itself. Consider what it took to make the "opt out" concept become a reality. Knowledge is power though.

Right now there is a thread going on about people no longer being able to access their complete CR online. When the CR gets too long, whether because of trade lines or soft inquires, the CR gets split into 2 parts. When credit lenders try to access it, they only see part two and for some reason in some cases, old trade lines that had previously been deleted are inserted back into the report. It's like having two reports, but only part of it appears and several have had their mortgage quote recinded because of the information. Check these threads out, they are an eye opener and it all started when someone received an "ERROR 45D" after trying to access their report. Also do a search on ERROR 45D.

http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&pgnum=4&postid=210044#post210044

http://consumers.creditnet.com/stra...&postid=207036&highlight=45D+error#post207036

Maybe if consumers were able to prove that this tool that CRB's have is affecting them negatively in a similar way, then action would be taken.

10. MandyB

MandyB Well-Known Member

Re: Making Real Changes

Unfortunately I have to agree. But that doesn't mean that things aren't completely wrong w/ what CRAs and CAs can get away w/ either legally or try to get away w/ illegally. I also think that there should be a class action suit filed against Palisades/Gulf States/OSI for their false collecting of AT&T bills.