need advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Abby, Nov 19, 2000.

1. Abby

Abby Guest

2. Abby

Abby Guest

sorry hit button

When I was young and STUPID I had 2 credit cards one retail card and a Citibank, I got in trouble and stopped paying on these cards back in 88-89, I went to college in another state and never made good on these total around 1000. So I figured my credit was shot and never attempted to look at reports or apply for credit. Around 1998 I received a preapproval from Citibak, I thought this must have been a joke or something but I applied and received a card, since that time I have gotten copies of my reports and as of today I have a good credit record. I assume my old debts fell off after the 7 year clock. I am not trying to excuse what I did but I really learned from that experience and have been doing well and never going over my head ever again. I thought all was well then the other day I received a bill from a collection agency for my previous citibank account. I have been doing research and if /i understand it correctly the SOL ran out long time ago and so did time frame for reporting(7 years). Should I just ignore this letter or not? Even though they would be doing it wrongly, can they possibly try adding this back to my records and if that happens and Citibank see that I owed them from many moons ago, will they drop my like a "bad Habit" I have been a great customer with them since 98, this is really bothering me. Anybody have some advice or experience with this?? I would appreicate any help you can offer and please do slam me I realize what I did was wrong.

Thank you
    Abby

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: sorry hit button

I dont think Citibank knows a thing. I would just ignore the letter. If you keep getting them send a cease and desist letter. The collection agency may be an internal or outside collection agency. That has no bearing on your new account. They opened a new one for you right. The debt must be sold even if they are using the citibank name to collect it. Basically, I would say not to worry. They can not tack the debt onto your new card or anything like that. The worst they can do is sue you for the debt. In that case you have the best defense. The Sol has past. So your conscience is getting to you. Dont let it. They gave you a new account. You used the same ss# right. Dont worry about it. Concentrate on maintaining that good credit. Your little $1K charged off account is among millions they are arbitrarily trying to collect. Good Luck.

roni

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hello, first off your last statement I think you meant DON"T slam you, anyway most people here are very helpful and dont' criticize. May I ask if you applied for any major loans lately? The reason I aske is b/c I recently applied for a mortgage and I receive a bill from several years ago. I have a letter that was drafted from me and I can send it if you want. it deals exactly with this very issue. Anyway I really don't think they CAN put this back on your reports because of the time frame, they would have to change orginal dates etc, not that I wouldn't put it past them but I would say the most they could do is put har inquires on your reports and state for collections purposes this would appear bad for you I am not saying they would but they may try. DON'T offer any payement arrangements with infact could put this account back on your records. You can find all the info you need at carreonandassociates.com that deals with these very issues. I really don't think Citibank would be aware of this, I am sure this is probably collection agency number 6 or something that has bought the debt from someone else. Maybe others may have some insight, this is all I can come up with at the moment.

Mom

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I agree with Roni, obviously Citibank doesn't have you in their internal records or you wouldn't have gotten an account and this debt collector can't put this back on your reports. I really believe that every agency has a certain time that they pull out old debts and send them out and see if they can get somebody to pay them, somebody that doesn't know their rights or the FCRA guidelines. They are just trying to bait you, don't fall for it.