Need charge card for work exp

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SET, Apr 26, 2001.

1. SET

SET Member

My company ended its Amex corporate card program and is dragging its feet on replacing it with something else. In the meantime, I could really use a charge card to use for business travel expenses.

I would love to have another Amex green card. However, I have a previous charge-off with them from a little over 5 years ago, back when I had some serious health problems. I paid off the debt about 4 years ago, and since I live in New York the charge-off has now fallen off my credit report. My FICO is now 710, and would be higher except that my balances to credit limit ratio is on the high side. I'm working on paying down the balances. There are no other negatives.

I've read on this board about people who have had success getting a new Amex card even after a previous charge-off with them. I'm wondering if it's worth trying with them, or if I should go and try Diners Club or something else.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Re: Need charge card for work

It's worth a try. Your FICO is high enough to qualify. If you are denied because of the charge-off, call them and explain the situation. I think you have a good shot. If this doesn't work, you may want to go for the Citibank World Aadvantage card which has no preset limit. This would be better than Diner's Club which isn't accepted in nearly as many places.

3. SET

SET Member

Thanks, Dave. I may just give Amex a shot. I hope if they are going to deny me because of the charge-off they do it without hitting me with an inquiry. Perhaps I'll give them a call before applying to ask about my chances.

Thanks also for the suggestion on the Citibank card. I hadn't thought about that one.

4. SET

SET Member

Just thought I'd pass along an update:

I finally went ahead and applied for the Amex green card. I applied on Monday night (the 7th). I applied online, and got a reponse that the system wasn't responding, they had my information, and would get back to me in a few weeks.

Well, today I called the automated status line and it said... Congratulations, you're approved!

So just another bit of evidence to prove that you can get an Amex card again with a bad past history with them, as long as you've paid off what you owe.

Thanks to everyone. I've learned a lot reading this board.

5. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Dave-

Don't dismiss Diners that casually -- I traveled on it exclusively for 3 years.

EVERY airline, hotel, car rental accepts it. Nearly every restaurant accepts it. Kinkos, CompUSA, lots of the on-line stores (buy.com, Amazon, PCMall), and every airport shop accepts it. What else do you need for business travel?

Don't get me wrong - I'm also an Amex cardholder, and I have to say that these two companies set the standards for excellence in customer service. Diners has a few extra benefits==

1) a better rewards program (miles to any airline or hotel program)

2) 62 days to pay (with Amex, you loose membership rewards points if you go past 30 days)

3) Diners car rental insurance is primary (before your personal car insurance has to kick in) ... everyone else is secondary (you MUST file any claim to your regular auto insurance 1st, then they pick up what your insurance doesn't)

4) Cash access is a 4% fee at the ATM and no interest-- it also comes out of a special line of credit, not an EFT to your checking account.

You can't go wrong with either-- Diners just has some extras that I like.

6. Geo

Geo Well-Known Member

And... the anual fee is $85

7. mj

mj Well-Known Member

...good point.

Amex charges $55 for a green card _PLUS_ $40 for membership rewards (gotta pay that to get the points)... so that's $95.

BUT, the other extras, like rental car benefits, enhanced insurance limits for accidental,, etc. are only available to gold or higher, so that's $75 + $40 = $115.

Remember- charge cards (no limit, due in full cards like Amex Green/Gold or Diners Club) ALWAYS have an annual fee- you never revolve so you never pay interest. Credit cards (Amex Blue, Visa, MC, etc) usually don't have annual fees... they make money on interest charges.

mj