Need Credit Card

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Larissa, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Larissa

Larissa Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a credit card that they think I could get? On EQ I have:

2 defaulted student loans 1998
    2 govt claims for those loans
    car loan 1 1/2 yrs no lates
    2 judgements - (1)1999, (1)2000 both satisfied
    4 unpaid collections
    closed CC 1994 no lates

I have tried Cap One secured and got "need more time"
    Unsecured Cap One-denied
    Orchard Bank-denied
    Discover-denied (of course)

does anyone have some ideas? I need to get some good accounts to balance the bad, but no one seems to want to touch me with the student loans on there.

Thanks
    Larissa

2. dinob12

dinob12 Well-Known Member

FCNB....Providian.... Getsmart.com...Better luck with these companies trust me...

3. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

For Capital One "Need more time" they'll probably make you an offer in 1 to 1 1/2 months for a secured card with $200 limit w/ $199 deposit. That is their worst secured offer. A friend of mine got this offer and she's currently in a Ch 13 BK that she is paying on. She has no clue what her credit reports look like either.

Others have been know to get offers for a $400 or $500 limit w/ a $99 deposit. I got the $199 offer and sent it in but had problems establishing my account. I wrote Planetfeedback about the ordeal that I had to go through and Mr. Miller sent my $199 back and opened an unsecured account up for me w/ a $200 limit. I needed positive trades on my reports to off set a few paid negatives.

4. Larissa

Well...I got home today and in my mailbox was an offer from Cap One $49 for $200 limit...I think I will take it... should I go for one of the others too? Has anyone had any experience getting a secured card switched to unsecured after say paying on time for six months or so? Also does anyone know how this card will report?

Thanks for the advice!

5. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Yes if you have the $99, I would jump on that. Oh...and let me correct my previous post:

My neighbor who is going through Ch 13 BK got offered the Cap1 secured card w/ $200 limit for $99...not $199. We were working on an agreement for me to lend her the $99 and then when she got the card, trasfer $100 off of the card to the Cobaltcard and then go to the ATM machine, withdrawl the funds, and give me my $100 back (to aviod cash advance fees). She didn't have the $99 needed to open the account. But that idea is dust now seeing that she was just recently laid off.

And by the way...if you don't take the Capital One offer, they will bug you every once in a great while to accept it. But they won't change the terms. I originally got the offer in like August 2000. I initially accepted it but then decided not to (right after they cashed my check) and canceled my application and got my money back. Then they sent me an email in March with a deposit slip saying that the offer still stood and to print out the slip, fill it out, and send w/ $199. I deleted it. Then they sent an amendment to the email like 2 weeks later. Apparently there was an error (on the original email it said to send $199 to receive a card w/ a $0 balance). So on the second email, I printed out the deposit slip and mailed it w/ a check. The email said that the offer was good for a year from the day that I applied...so it was expiring next month.

6. Larissa

I just applied for the getsmart Visa Classic...instant denial...guess I will just stick with the Cap One secured card for now...

7. matty61184

matty61184 Well-Known Member

I would stick with the Capital One card to start out, and if you want to try the GetSmart up the road, say 6 months, try it. At this point, you probably don't want to be filling your credit report fat with inquiries, because that can look bad.

8. Larissa

True..of course it has tons already...when I bought the car (1 1/2 years ago) like 6 different places pulled the report...you can tell because they are all on the same day...I figured I might as well get all the inquiries out of the way at once, and then stop altogether....I guess I should be happy with what I got...spend some time building history with that card and working on getting bad stuff deleted!

9. matty61184

Thats true. Hey, for the heck of it, you could even dispute the inquiries and see what ya get!

10. Larissa

Maybe...I tried disputing online with Trans, and can't seem to find a way to go back and check on the dispute...how do I know they even got it? I am much less happy with them than the others. EQ responded to disputes on Hubby's in a week and deleted 3 out of 5!

11. matty61184

They sent me a shitty letter in the mail telling me to call the creditors and find out the information myself and if something was found to be inaccurate to have the creditor call them to have the inquiry removed.