Need Help Raising Score

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by staces5, Jul 24, 2001.

1. staces5

staces5 Well-Known Member

Hi! I have only found and been reading this board for 2 days and have already learned lots of valuable info! Thanks to your advice, I went to credit expert and signed my husband and myself up. Now I am trying to raise my scores! They are horrible! My hubby's is 486 and mine is 551. We have been trying to get a mortgage refinance since January of this year so we each have about 18 inquiries due to this, all since January. None of these have given us a loan, so I disputed them and am hoping that will raise our score. Alot of our negative stuff is charge off's from 5-7 years ago, i do not have the money to pay these at this time and I see that some of them are reporting wrong amounts and such..where do I start?? Thanks

2. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

Hi-

Do searches on this board for "Dispute Letters" and '"Validation Letters". Use these letters to send 'Disputes' to the CRA's and remember to FOLLOW UP with validation letters should they 'validate' your dispute. DISPUTE inquiries as well.

Read through the previous posts on this board, you will find A LOT of help.

The first thing to do, for now, is to STOP getting inquiries...you know your score is low so let's not make it any worse. You will get it up, so hold back for now.

I think everyone on this board would agree that subscriptions to creditexpert.com (for Experian) and privista.com (for equifax) are the best way to monitor your progress.

I am not an expert, I learn from this board everyday. The people here are fantastic and very knowledegable. Just visit often (I come by several times a day! It's addicting), READ, and ask specific questions and you will find yourself in a better place in no time.

The most important thing that I have found is LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES. I know I have.

Hope this helps!

Shawn

3. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

The first thing you want to do is get copies of your credit reports from the three bureaus: Equifax, Experian and Transunion. Each has a web site and you can order online. Transunion will send their report through the mail, though, as they don't offer online delivery.

After you've received the reports, go over them very carefully, highlighting all of the negatives and noting any inaccuracies. Each report is different so you'll have to meticulously scan all of the info.

Your next step is to start disputing. Prioritize the negatives and focus on the worst ones first. Samples of dispute letters have been posted on this board.

Many folks here have sent validation letters to creditors and have had good results. My circumstances were such that I didn't take that route but that's an aspect of your plan of attack you might want to consider.

Hopefully, this is enough info to get you started. The repair task can seem overwhelming, I know, but just take it one step at a time. You'll get there. There will be some frustrations along the way but we're all here to support you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Donna

4. supershawn

DOH!

I guess you would need your reports before you send your letters...sorry!

I guess I was putting the cart in front of the horse...or in this case, the 'dispute' in front of the horses ass!

LOL!

Shawn

5. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Shawn,

I thought you wrote a great post, one that offered help, hope and encouragement.

And you didn't miss the mark. Staces had seen her online report from Experian but I don't think she had checked out Transunion or Equifax yet. I was just wanting to point out that she would need all three because any mortgage lender would check all three.

Thanks.

Donna

6. supershawn

Donna.

thanks.

I was just teasing in my post, by the way.....I was making fun of myself for forgetting the obvious...the reports!

(and the reference to the horses butt was to the CRA's)

Hope I didn't confuse you, I was doing to many things at once and probably wasn't clear enough.

Thanks!

Shawn

7. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

LOL! Shawn.

Life can get pretty chaotic when you try to tackle too many tasks at once.

Call the bureaus any names you like. Right now, I'm feeling as if I would like to blow up Experian. They are so difficult to get anywhere with! If I had a nickle for every time they said they verified...and didn't...MAN! Would I be rich!

At least Experian is starting to delete inquiries now. That's a positive. They are ahead of Equifax and Transunion there.

Take care.

Donna

8. doodyhead

doodyhead Well-Known Member

there are mortgage companies that do not use ficos if you look hard enough.

9. staces5

staces5 Well-Known Member

Where?? Do you know of any that would go 80% LTV??? That is what I have been seraching for!

10. Tiff

Tiff Member

We just got approved for a mortgage with LongBeach Mortgage here in Ohio for an 85% LTV. Require primary borrower to a credit score of 580 and must provide proof of last 12 months mortgage or rent payments paid on-time - cancelled checks.