Need help with creditor.......

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Rayan, Mar 25, 2000.

1. Rayan

Rayan Guest

I know this is a bit off topic for this board but I just dont have anywhere else to go:)
    2 months ago I moved from my apartment complex early and forfeited the 500$ deposit. They sent me a letter demanding another 170$ for cleaning the stove, refrigerator,...... just cleaning. Its been 2 months now and I would rather pay the bill or see it settled in some manner than tarnish my credit report. Can they put it on my credit report? If I pay can I force them to sign something to waive the right to put it on my report? Or better yet, what would you do?

Any and all responces welcom.......Im new to this type of warfare and just need advice....
    Thank you all for your time

2. Manda T

Manda T Guest

RE: Need help with creditor...

As I work in this field, I can tell you that they can definately put this on your credit report. My company gives 30 days to pay the balance or we turn it over to collections.

I would go in to the office and pay the debt in certified funds. Ask for a reciept! Also, ask them to put it in writing that you have settled the debt.

Even after you have paid the debt, be prepared that while they will report that the debt is settled that will still be considered a bad rental reference.

3. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: Rental Blacklist

As somebody who works in this field I presume you would know which blacklist your company sends this information to and which others your company subscribes to.

My question is how long does one stay on these blacklists. Two years? Five years? FOREVER?

I have never heard of regulations for this industry so in theory they could set it up anyway they chose with no recourse on a potential renters part.

I would be very interested in hearing what you have to say.

4. Rayan

Rayan Guest

RE: manda t.......

Ok so they will report it to a rental blacklist. Are there any steps I can take now to keep it off my credit report? Its been almost 2 months. If I pay it will it still go on my report? If I pay it and it still goes on my report, should I then not pay and dispute the matter in court to keep it off my credit report? My only objective is to keep it off my report. So what options do I have?

5. Manda T

Manda T Guest

There is no blacklist that you report to. I use a collection company that reports on a credit report. If I have a judgement then I am able to collect for the regular statue. If I do not have a judgement then I can only collect for a year. So we always go to court for the judgement.

As for as a rental reference, we only go back 6 years. But the only way someone would get the rental reference is by calling. And while some may think not to list the bad reference, if you are dealing with a professional comapany they compare address' to what reported on your credit report.

6. Manda T

Manda T Guest

RE: manda t.......

I am not sure of your state statues, but most states require that you provide a accounting statement in writing. If you have received the statement and you are in dispute, you have the right to request copies of the bills. You can try and dispute the move out accounting, but if they have everything documented then it usually is a waste of time.

I know that my company if paid does not turn over accounts or report to a credit reporting agency. I would do as I suggested the first time, and pay them. Don't forget to get a reciept, and try to get a letter.

Good luck to you!

7. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

6 years isn't that bad unlike say Real Chek American (which I certainly consider a 'blacklist' and the same for others of its ilk) a national resident reporting service whose information becomes part of your "permanent" rental record.

At this point there are no restrictions are limitations of any sort placed on the companies running these "blacklists" I daresay, the day will come when somebody who was placed on one of these lists 10-15-20!! years back will be denied a rental and have absolutely no recourse...that is if it hasn't happened already.

8. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I've written software for a few companies that process residential eviction and judgements from apartment complexes, and share such information. It stays on for quite a while, and if you get such a bad mark, you'll be disqualified. I once saw a lady evicted for not paying $8/mo in section 8 rent, and the next place denied her. It was funny reading all the bad reports and data. but Not so funny if you're trying to get a place. almost no-one will rent to a person evicted or such.

sam

9. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I would think that if there is such a company running a rental 'blacklist' or whatever you might call it that it would be considered by law a 'Consumer Reporting Agency' and would be subject to the FCRA. Chexsystems is, despite fighting tooth and nail to avoid it, as is the Medical Information Bureau, which deals with only medical information and no financial information.

If so, then the provisions about disputes and such of the FCRA would apply to them.

As for comparing someone credit report to their rental application, credit reports only contain the current address and previous addresses. Previous addresses are not dated in any fashion. In addition, if someone uses a PO Box or mail drop, no residential information would appear on it at all.

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Public records are very difficult to fight. Judgements etc are court ordered items

11. Avi

Avi Guest

There is such an organization in Los Angeles, known as the "UD Registry" (UD standing for Unlawful Detainer). This is an organization used by apartment associations to check for such actions, and this blacklist may only reflect whether such an action was filed, not followed through (eviction, which is also recorded). They should, technically, be subject to the same FCRA laws. However, it is my understanding that you have to push them to purge their records, or they won't.

12. Indnewssrv

Indnewssrv Guest

It sounds to me that you did alot more damager than $170 worth...the landlord would of used your deposit to cover the cleaning. This means you did $670 worth of damage to the apt. If you left early that means you were trying to run from paying the next month rent and having the landlord see your mess. I'm not one to critize its just that I have seen a couple of examples were this happened. One was an apt my hubby and I were going to move into..and the people split before the rent was due and lets just say there depsit would nowhere near cover the damage they made. The other was my husband in his single yrs were he made a big mess and out of $400 deposit he got back $35 and he left the kitchen,bathroom and floor dirty. So depending on the damages you could get a bad rental reference. Just be honest with yourself..and try to work with the landlords.

Cynthia

13. sam

sam Well-Known Member

registry :)

heheh I designed the dos software for them years back :) thats funny :). We never bothered to port to windows because our isp business took off, good concept, and it was very educational to have access to the wealth of credit bureaus information. I still have a ton of manuals from the 3 biggies :) they keep sending them. of course its confidential and i can't publish or talk about it. you really have a different concept of credit bureaus after seeing all the trash they publish and share. made me sick.

14. Rayan

Rayan Guest

Its really none of your business but....
    rent is $950 with a $500 deposit. I gave them 2 months advance notice that I was moving for work related reasons and was told that I would automatically lose my $500 deposit because of breaking the contract. Anything else wrong with the apt would have to come out of my pocket and NOT THE INITIAL DEPOSIT...Hence the $170 dollars. It was from dust on blinds and crap like that. Im young and they know they can push me.

15. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

You know, I would be interested in any CONSTRUCTIVE advice you get on this matter. I recently moved out of an apartment, and after some time received a statement. The jist of it was they were keeping $134.00 for damages. I think that is probably SOP for a less than mediocre management co., it was no surprise. But, since I left the place in good shape- requiring only a little touch-up paint- I wrote back asking for an itemized description of the alleged damages. One wonders whether one of the knowledgeable people who inhabit this list might have some good advice concerning deposits and the obligations (if any) of the management to document "damages".

16. jsw

jsw Guest

Check out your lease agreement - is anything listed regarding 'extra' costs for cleaning or repairs? If you do decide to pay the $170 this should not be reported to any credit bureau because it is not a debt that is outstanding and still owed.

17. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: registry :)

Didn't know it could be any worse than i thought!

18. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: registry :)

heheh I designed the dos software for them years back :) thats funny :). We never bothered to port to windows because our isp business took off, good concept, and it was very educational to have access to the wealth of credit bureaus information. I still have a ton of manuals from the 3 biggies :) they keep sending them. of course its confidential and i can't publish or talk about it. you really have a different concept of credit bureaus after seeing all the trash they publish and share. made me sick.
    sam
    ==============Trash such as ?
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """""""""```~~~```'"""""""""
    http://teamhouse.tni.net/Misc/bestphotos2003/bestphotos.htm