Need help with Settlement

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Newbie, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Newbie

Newbie Guest

Well, for those of you who may remember my question about settling with Associates...I have more questions to ask. To review, Associates hired a collection agency (1st one), and they offered to settle for $1000 less than the amount owed with "settled in full", zero balance notation. I tried to get a deletion, but they wouldn't cooperate. So I sent the collection agency a check per our agreement (thinking I can get it deleted easier if it's paid), and during this time, Associates took back the account because 6 months have passed with this agency they hired. They're probably getting ready to send it to another collection agency, and right now according to them, it's not charged off yet. BTW, only Associates is listing the negative info on my reports as R5. My check is being sent back to me by the collection agency because cashing it at this point would be a breach of contract.

Any advice on what I should do at this point? I need help desperately. Thank you so much!

2. Bigun

Bigun Guest

I wouldn't say you are desperate. Time is your best friend. It'll take time for a new agency to contact you and when they do, demand that they verify the debt! They may not be able to. If worse comes to worse, you negoiate with them but in the meantime, you got your money.