Need some advice on dealing with a judgement

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by inAhole55, Aug 9, 2007.

1. inAhole55

inAhole55 Member

Hello all,

A few years ago I had a line of credit, during that time I have gone through a divorce and job loss. I got another job at a much lower payscale. I was able to pay my other bills but this one.

It finally went to court and Beneficial now has a judgement against me for $20k

If I understand this correctly, at this point they can proceed to garnish my wages and sieze my bank accounts.

I would like to offer a lump sum settlement (for a lot less $$) if I get a loan from my 401k - but I need some advice or direction on where to start this process. I would also like them to show this as paid (if that is possible).

Help!

2. cap1sucks

cap1sucks Well-Known Member

All you should have to do is contact the attorney and try to make the arrangements.

One thing you should watch out for is to make sure that the attorney notifies the court that the judgment has been satisfied. If you don't the possibility exists (however unlikely) that years later they could come back at you and demand to get paid all over again. Another possibility (a wee bit more likely) is that they could sell the debt accidentally and the new company comes after you a few years later.

I have heard of those things happening a time or two so make sure the judgment is satisfied at the court house and released before you pay.

If they won't do it before you pay then make them prepare and sign a statement saying they will do that within so many days after payment.

3. logger1

logger1 Well-Known Member

Was the judgment filed in a local/state jurisdiction? If so, they can act rather quickly to obtain a writ to garnish wages or court order to grab your bank account. You might want to first protect your cash assets and get them out of your bank.

In terms of negotiating, hopefully others will chime in first.

If you have a reasonable job with reasonable pay and they can see they are potentially the only judgment creditor at this time, they may go for garnishment before they are willing to negotiate. You need to check your state laws related to how long a writ of wage garnishment lasts until it needs to be renewed by the crediotr/collector. You may not see a garnishment coming. I've heard some states require notification to debtor of 30 - 45 days prior to the garnishment taking effect after the employer (garnishee) is served. In other states, the debtor need only be sent a copy of the writ within 10 days after being served. I'm not trying to frighten you, but you do need to be prepared. You could have a chunk of your wages garnished and a few days later you receive the copy of the writ. The first garnishment, if received by the emplyer mid-month, generally is a prorated amount of the state allowed garnishment for the month. I've heard that some creditors/collectors try to get the writ served near the first of the month so to get a bigger chunk of the first month's pay (if paid monthly.)

In many states, a judgment automatically sets up a lien against real property, so be looking for that if this is the case in your state and you own property.

Sorry i can't help you with negotiating when they already have the judgment and you're employed.

4. inAhole55

inAhole55 Member

Thanks for the responses. Yes this all was done in my local county.

This was filed just yestrday (after the Judgement)
    8/8/2007 399 - ME: Notice To File Arbit Award 8/8/2007

I have no real property, I have a car but owe more than it's worth, I have a 2nd car that they could come after (I outright own it). I have a 401k which is the only real asset I have besides household items. I don't have any savings and my chekcing account is always very low.

I do have a reasonable job and pay, well before 50% is taken out for child support. How much can they garnish (is it a percentage, or just the whole paycheck?).

Is there a chance that I can ask for a payment by deletion (for a lesser amt)?

5. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Slow down a bit and let's take a closer look.

You have two cars - one they won't touch because you are upside down, the other is vulnerable.

The 401K they cannot seize, so I advise that you not be in such a hurry to hand it over to them. Only give them things they can get anyway.

You don't own a house or a bank account so they cannot get that either.

Here in AZ the maximum Garnishment is 10% of your gross... BUT... a Child Support or Alimony garnishment counts towards that 10%. You have a 50% child support garnishment. How much (in dollars) is left over after all the required deductions (Support and all taxes)? If it is less than 40 times the Federal Minimum Wage ($5.85 per hour or $234.00 a week) then they can't garnish your pay at all.

I would look into your State Garnishment laws to see what collection leverage they really do have on you. If you live in Texas or one of the other no-Garnishment states then they have a judgment they can frame and hang on the wall, and not do a lot else with.

6. init2winit

init2winit Well-Known Member

Why is that? Its essentially a savings account.

7. inAhole55

inAhole55 Member

What I mean to imply is that my child support + insurance for the kids is 50% of my net pay - not gross. I beat that guideline to get out of garnishment. However, the 10% of gross would hurt really really bad, but I might be able to get by (by eating ramen noodles and packing peanuts).

I want to put this behind me, and now after my 2.5 year divorce I finally have access to funds in my 401k to try to attempt to fix this problem - and I am not sure what first step I need to take.

8. inAhole55

inAhole55 Member

Scratch that the garnishment would hurt and I could still make it, something else would have to give.

9. appylon

appylon Banned

packing peanuts you mean ghost poop, there good toasted with bb-q sauce.

10. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Because IRA's and other Retirement accounts are exempt by Law.

11. logger1

logger1 Well-Known Member

I agree, take a deep breath. I would guess that after the child-support, etc, there is little left to garnish. I was told by a 'well-advised" person that in my case, I should let my student loans go into default and encourage a garnishment. the allowable garnishment on student loans is 10%. This, in my state, leaves 15% garnishable for other creditors. I'm even considering this. I get my student loan monthly payments made, and I only need to subject 15% of my wages to garnish, H*ll, i didn't write the laws, LOL! Maybe I should "encourage" the student loan holder to go for immediate default and get a permanent wage garnishment! The inportant thing here is that student loans are not free of a chapter 13 banbkruptcy, so should I go the BK route, the loans roll into deferrment and I'll have another $40K in debt due to interest after five years. Nothing to begained by BK 13!

Do you have a court order showing your insurance payments for the kids are a mandatory deduction. This should reduce you "garnishable amount."

12. inAhole55

inAhole55 Member

I have court orders tasking me with provding insurance for the kids and a dollar amount I can deduct from the total child support amount for providing insurance. It is roughly $1100 per month all together