Negotiating with Providivan

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by S.D., Nov 13, 2000.

1. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Once I receive my Providian Gold, I had planned on trying to get them to waive the annual fee before I activate my card. I really, really, REALLY want them to lower my APR from the standard 23.99% to at least 19.8% and give me some sort of grace period.
    I want this ASAP, because I know I probably won't use the card often with the current terms. That would probably mean that I wouldn't receive increases because I heard they give increases quickly only if you use your card a lot.

Any suggestions on how soon I would be able to ask for lower APR and grace period? Please share your experiences and how to go about doing this.

I've been reading the board and have seen many different things about dealing with Providian, but I would like to know what really works and what doesn't.

Thanks for all the input!

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

RE: Negotiating with Providiva

I personally didn't do s*&t when I got my card but use it! I was HAPPY that someone decided to turn their back on my credit history and GIVE ME A CHANCE! How's that going to look....me calling to get all kinds of stuff waived, etc. and I haven't even activated the card yet?????

They are *DOING YOU* a favor......not vice versa. They gotta make money on you in exchange for giving you a chance, right? You didn't expect for them to give you a second chance for free? So give them a chance to make some money before you start calling up requesting all kinds of waivers. I personally have had the card since June 2000. I am a satisfied customer and my account is in perfect standing. I always pay WAY above the minimum and I just got a $500 increase that costed me $49. That was fine. I think probably in the beginning of the year, I'm going to see about getting fees waived and lowering APR. They have made enough money on me (I always carry a low balance) and they have done me right!

:)

3. S.D.

S.D. Guest

That's true... they're the only ones who have offered me an unsecured card with a $500 limit and I'm very happy about this. Guess I have to start somewhere. Thanks for having me look at it from another prespective. =)

4. Cadillac408

I personally didn't do s*&t when I got my card but use it! I was HAPPY that someone decided to turn their back on my credit history and GIVE ME A CHANCE! How's that going to look....me calling to get all kinds of stuff waived, etc. and I haven't even activated the card yet?????

They are *DOING YOU* a favor......not vice versa. They gotta make money on you in exchange for giving you a chance, right? You didn't expect for them to give you a second chance for free? So give them a chance to make some money before you start calling up requesting all kinds of waivers. I personally have had the card since June 2000. I am a satisfied customer and my account is in perfect standing. I always pay WAY above the minimum and I just got a $500 increase that costed me $49. That was fine. I think probably in the beginning of the year, I'm going to see about getting fees waived and lowering APR. They have made enough money on me (I always carry a low balance) and they have done me right!

:)

5. Cadillac408

Oops! Posted Twice....Sorry..

6. Eboni

Eboni Guest

My suggestion

Keep the card for a year then make demands. Also, Charge on the card and make payments everyweek. I charge my groceries every weeknend on my card and pay it off the next Wednesday when I get paid from my checking account. They make a little money but not much:)

They will increase your limit in hopes you go all wild with your credit. Just keep your and you will get increases.