NEVER deal w/Collection Agency

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Re: Anybody could Update?

Marie,

Are you going to specialize in consumer law? You'll have a lot of clients right here!!

2. sassyinaz

sassyinaz Well-Known Member

Kudos to you, Marie!!!!!!!!!

It was obvious to me and I believe should have been glaringly obvious to anyone else reading along that bobo the all-knowing hadn't read this thread nor any part of this board before responding.

Case in point, the links provided as if he was blessing us with a divine revelation in consumer protection laws that we'd never heard of but upon which everything discussed on this board is based.

And, a simple thing, his inability to recognize that Marie is a woman's name while referring to you as a man.

Your post needs no disclaimer, Marie, never did, that is why it is stickified ;-) Everyone is responsible for doing their own homework and understanding what is presented before using it, if they don't get it, they shouldn't be using it, I say.

Sassy

3. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Re: An Attorney's Response

HOLY CRAP !!!

Sorry Marie,

Had I seen this preposterous comment I would'a stomped on it immediately. Though I'm sure his girl friend was impressed. lol

When Marie talks, smart CNetters listen.

Good job, yet again.

:)

4. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, here's some more sound advice from yet another intellectual giant in the legal profession:

[Apologies to Kyle for disparaging his relative. I'm sure he meant well.]

Fortunately Kyle found us before proceeding here. Obviously disputing an account as PAID, would yield a PAID COLLECTION on his report for 6.5 more years, (and quite possibly longer).

Bobo is right about one thing; be very, VERY careful.

:)~

5. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Marie -- so generous as always -- just copied and pasted your updated strategies to my "save" folder! :)

Doc

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

It's all ok. Everyone is allowed to have their opinion, that's the fun of going to court... to see if your logic and research betters theirs. I've watched a few extremely arrogant attorneys lose in court.. and it's like watching a big tree get downed in the woods. Loud "kaboom" followed by an eternity of silence.

And really, it's that exact attitude that made me get interested in adding yet another degree to my name. I got irritated at being "not taken seriously" once "they" learned I wasn't an attorney.

Most lawyers start off in law school batting around the ideas: does this work? what about in this case? How about this theory? Why did this fly in this case but get overturned in that one?

And actually, though I'm a babe in the woods, I don't dismiss concepts quite as quickly as the other poster. It's not an exact science... and one man's crazy idea is another one's groundbreaking case.

I'm reading a great book right now by a professor well known for contract law, it's called

Changing Your Mind: The Law of Regretted Decisions
    by E. Allan Farnsworth

He talks about when you're bound and when you can wiggle out of things. He takes his info from not only contract law but out of property law, torts etc... He cautions that many lawyers think of contract law as the only place from which to get their arguments... it's a great read for anyone a bit interested in the law.

The one great thing about this forum is normally, we can bat around ideas in a supportive environment... and if we're way off base we get told why with logic and case law.. hopefully.

I would actually have preferred a nice debate on the assignment of debts... then getting a list to read myself. I can find those on my own. But most lawyers only want to give their opinions if you're on the clock ;)

But really, we're lucky when collection agencies get involved. They so rarely follow the law during the whole transaction that they really are their own worst enemy to an informed consumer.

I just hope that the poster didn't tell his girlfriend that validation and the FDCPA and FCRA were bogus. Most lawyers don't have very much experience in consumer law (more money on the other side, if they do creditor-debtor law).

and to answer the final question: of course consumer law will be a part of my practice. I wouldn't be able to help myself... ;) But you all will have to move to my state!!!

7. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

What state are you in, or going to be when you're done?

8. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

By the way Doc, I did that list very quickly last night. A while back I remember posting a pretty good list of strategy and I think which laws they violate when they do it.

I originally read the FCRA and listed all the ways they could break the law.. then I could just cut and paste sections of the FCRA into a lawsuit.

Also, once you read the laws over and over again, it's easy to see how to trip them up even more by planning out how to time your requests.

If you need a really good set of materials, email me. I can't post everything I have ;)

9. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Hedwig,
    I'm in Ga. right now but will likely relocate. We'll see where I land ;)

10. Butch

Butch Well-Known Member

Marie,

Please email me.

:)

11. Chaos29445

Chaos29445 New Member

I'm new and not so good with the serch feature yet how do i find copies of the validation letters?

12. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

13. AriMaccabi

AriMaccabi New Member

Anybody could Update?

I am interested in talking with you Marie. I like what you are saying and want to know more. Like - where do I find an example letter for validation? And the other letters you spoke of?

Please respond here or by emailing here by clicking on my name! Thanks!

14. AriMaccabi

AriMaccabi New Member

Anybody could Update?

I am interested in talking with you Marie. I like what you are saying and want to know more. Like - where do I find an example letter for validation? And the other letters you spoke of?

15. AriMaccabi

AriMaccabi New Member

Anybody could Update?

16. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

At what point does the statute of limitations begin to run? is it the date of the first delinquency, or the charge off date? "last activity"? help!

17. lbrown59

read the links in my signature .

18. lbrown59

I just told you in this post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ lbrown59 | 16266 posts since Feb 2001 205.188.197.31 | 11.26.2003 @ 11:54

http://consumers.creditnet.com/stra...p?s=&forumid=25
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Chaos29445
    I'm new and not so good with the serch feature yet how do i find copies of the validation letters?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sample letters
    http://consumers.creditnet.com/stra...rd/index.php?s=

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They never take it off the report when we make it right so why should we take it off the docket when they do?
    *** Victims of Credit Reporting ***
    http://members.aol.com/victcrdrpt/Score.html
    Special for newbies ------ Read these links
    http://consumers.creditnet.com/stra...0243#post410243

19. lbrown59

20. goldhummin

goldhummin Well-Known Member

RE: Verify? or Validate?

Hey! What does she mean here? Am I reading this that a NY resident get their credit refreshed at only 5 years, unlike those of us on the West coast? Slick if it's true! I may just move there on paper.

Anybody know?