New Amex Inquires

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by molly, Feb 20, 2001.

1. molly

molly Well-Known Member

Just checked my Experian report online and noticed a few interesting things.

1. Amex pulled my Experian report when I submitted a brokerage application on Feb 19th to rollover my previous employers 401(k).
    2. 1/01 amex account review

They only account I have with Amex is the secured Optima card. I have had it since 10/31/00 and have been deposting money into the accunt every month and now have $1500.

Has anyone else seen this kind of inquiry

And one more question. I have two negative items. Experian received the dispute on 2/15 according to rr but it doesn't list anything on the report I pulled today 2/20? Does it usually say indispute?

I will have to ask about this report pulling tomorrow at work. I never knew about this. Can they actually deny my 401(k)? How embarassing!!

2. LadyC

LadyC Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the Brokerage inquiry, but they do check up on you with your secured accounts. I don't know why, considering they don't give you an increase.

3. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is a brokerage inquiry and is related to your 401K. You indicated you have an existing AMEX account. Under the terms of most cardholder agreements you authorize the creditor to pull your credit report, this is not limited to one occurrence, it can be pulled randomly.

4. molly

molly Well-Known Member

No I asked today at work and then called brokerage services and they check all brokerage accounts. I have two negative items on my Experian report. We have never had any clients declined for a brokerage account but they rep said they check for credit worthiness. I got the secured card with 6 or 7 negatives. So hopefully I will be ok. The funny thing is I am not getting a debit card so why do they check??

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Molly - if you came back - a new customer - as Centurion BLACK status, the next day every division of AMEX would have already approved and awaited your desire to be a Cardholder - particularly at $300 or $1000
    per yr fees :)

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

401(k) INQUIRY is as logical as an insurance company pulling a credit report to see how you DRIVE!!!

:(

7. molly

molly Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'm following you, what do you mean by "black status"? I still have 2 negative items on my Experian report. I know they won't approve me for anything with those.

8. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

AMEX BLACK Centurion Card

The "BLACK" is the new AMEX Centurion Bank Charge - it is only offered by invitation to AMEX's BEST CUSTOMERS!

Rumor has it Jerry Seinfeld personally called Harvey Golub, AMEX CEO to get one.
    Check out a search engine for more about this
    $1000 annual fee Card. Of course the benefits are worth the fee!

In this case, "BLACK" credit is the most prestigious credit possible. Another fun email or fable about "BLACK":
    I believe it was a post on this board - someone paid with the BLACK AMEX at a store -

The person said, "You must have millions if you have the BLACK CARD!"
    The Cardholder replied, "I do." Gotta love it.

Its different than being offered a Capital One GOLD Visa. :)

9. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Re: AMEX BLACK Centurion Card

This is not necessarily treu... The Centurion Card (aka, Black Card ) is being marketed to those who spend a great deal on travel related expenses (i.e., airfare, hotels, etc.)... AMEX does not rely on your income, but rather the amount you spend on the above items.

The card is worth the US$1000 IF YOU TRAVEL, as AMEX offers several travel related perks with the card... They are partnered with every airline, hotel, and rental car agency for Black Card members..

So if you do not travel, the US$1000 fee is being paid for nothing more than status...

Please search the following board for other American Express, Diners Club, and VISA/Mastercard information:

http://www.flyertalk.com/boardsfr.htm

Be sure to scroll down to the Cards section...

10. AZMDX

AZMDX Guest

Re: AMEX BLACK Centurion Card

Where can I find information about Black on the net?

11. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

Yes Dogman......

There was a post on this board about the Am/Ex Black story and that was posted by ME! :)

Here's what I said:

"Absolutely breathtaking! I acually saw a person standing in line in front of me w/ this card at a shop in Vegas. I was blown away! I was like, gee.....you must have millions to have THAT card! He replied, uh.....yes I do as a matter of fact!"