New Amexers!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Cyprigirl, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Cyprigirl

Cyprigirl Well-Known Member

How long before you received your card did they allow you to change products (a la Citi)?

I am still very excited! But I am thinking of upgrading to a gold or platinum if possible.

Did they give you seperate amounts for the BT and your available credit for purchases.

My transfers totalled $3500 but I had only 2000 available credit.

Please let me how AMex deals with this .

thank you!

Cypri:)

Amex got it ! Over $9000 in credit in one week after 2 years of denials :)

2. mindylou

mindylou Well-Known Member

Cyprigirl, I'm not sure, I didn't get any information other than I was approved, I don't even know my CL. I called to ask but was told by new acct rep that would have to wait till I got my card in the mail.

mindy

3. Cyprigirl

I called new accounts and they did not have me in the system yet but the automated system had my approval.

I really not to worried just was curious!

4. mj

mj Well-Known Member

Cyprigirl-

Congrats!

There are annual fees for some of the Skymiles cards (they let you earn more miles, so they charge you more). Just be careful!

You asked about Chase new accounts - I have their credit services center - 800-648-5588

5. Cyprigirl

Double thanks, mj.

Can you change products? I would like to upgrade to the Gold Skymiles since you get 10,000 miles.

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

You can switch before you get the card. Remember: Amex only switches your card type on the billing date. IE: for me my delta will be delta until the 21st of november.

7. Cyprigirl

Hi Sam, thanks for the input, what card did you upgrade to ? Are they receptive like Citi about changing products?

Also did you do a BT on the Skymiles, if so how did they handle the limit. Is the BT seperate from the available credit line?

Because I transferred 3500 and they gave me a limit of 2000.

Thanks in advance!

8. mindylou

Cyprigirl, did you get your CL online? How did you find out what it was? See my post on help with amex application about how my situation went also the amex approved post.

thanks,
    mindy

9. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I switched my card to the no annual fee Optima Platinum card. It has a lower APR bt for life (8.9%) and of course i insisted on lower apr. All I got was Prime+4%..

They will mail it on the 21st' they said, and to continue using the delta skymiles until then.

QUESTION: I remember a long time ago folks said that you would see "Pre-approved" upgrades on the account maintenance?? Where? and such on their site? Amex account site is the UGLIEST piece of junk i've ever seen. compared to CITI or Crap 1 , they site looks very amateur and archaic in design..

10. mindylou

Sam, how long after you were approved did you wait before changing products and, did you get the run-around when you asked to switch products.

mindy

11. Cyprigirl

Mindy, i was instantly approved and it told me my limit was $2k.

Also Sam:
    did they increase your limit when you changed cards. did you do a BT?

Thanks!

12. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I waited a day or so. I did not ask for more credit. Amex was just as professional as Citi when asking to change products.

They said I can't have a blue due to some technical reason, but offered the optima platinum, which is basically the same product sans a few things and the cool color.

Amex has great customer service.

13. mindylou

Sam, what do you mean about the color isn't the optima platinum the platinum color? Also who did you speak to for the product switch? Thanks

mindy

14. leo728

leo728 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to change from the amex gold charge card to a optima?

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

"PRE-APPROVED" ARE NOT REALLY...
    I WAS DENIED FOR A CASH BACK PLATINUM CARD...

16. Cyprigirl

Great i will do the same with Amex, I don't want to pay that annual fee and the optima card looks very nice.

Thanks for the info:)

17. sam

sam Well-Known Member

The optima platinum? Look at it at the amex site dude :) for the card. It's a beautiful card of course.

amex Optima platinums are much easier to get than amex platinums, btw ;)

18. Cyprigirl

leo thanks for the TU tip it really works and I think that is the reason I was approved.

19. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SIGN ON
    LEFT SIDE YELLOW BOX SAYS CARDS MAIN MENU...
    CARD BENEFITS
    APPLY FOR A CARD<--------------
    BLUE LOOT

"I'M ALREADY A CARD MEMBER"...LOG IN NOW...
    FIND THE CARD YOU ARE INTERESTED IN...CLICK ON APPLY

FILL IN APPLICATION "HARD" WILL PROBABLY BE PULLED.

20. Cyprigirl

I like the looks of the Optima Platinum!

I like the benefits also and can you enroll into membership rewards program?

By the way I tried Blue also and was flatly denied, doesn't matter, i am in the door now, and who knows months from now they will be asking me to accpet their card.

I also like the cash rewards platinum card, its pretty cool!