New here..Need advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by dnsatt, Sep 25, 2001.

1. dnsatt

dnsatt Active Member

I have finished the debt repayment program thru cccs, which I now know, might not been such a wonderful idea (ie going thru cccs) My question now is how do I rebuild my credit? what steps specifically can I take? I currently have no cc's All of my accounts were in collection..but are now paid in full. I have a low debt ratio and am and always have been current on my student loan payments. Any advice suggestion help prayer will be much appreciated.

2. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Pull a current copy of all your CRA reports and try to obtain your FICO score as well.

I would try to obtain a secured cc from one of the sub-prime like Cap 1. Stay away from the likes of CCB and others.

This is going to take time. Read all the past posts and ask any questions that you may have as this board is very helpful.

Welcome!

Best regards,
    Sam

3. Quixote

Quixote Well-Known Member

First of all, Congrats. It's hard. I know. But all strategy aside, don't you feel better? My wife and I finished in May and now it's just a matter of cleaning up after the party and recovering from the hangover.

First, talk to your CCCS counselor and ask them for a Citibank application. Citi has a special program for CCCS grads. We were approved right away (and it's been a LONG time since we've been approved for anything) for a no annual fee, 16.9%, $1000 limit MasterCard classic. Not huge, but, hey, it's a start. Then, just start sweeping. We're not all the way there yet, but we've made a lot of progress. I'll be posting a progress report later today. A few more steps, and we'll be applying for a Generations Bank Visa (a couple of very favorable reviews here lately- do a search on them.). I don't want to waste the inquiry, so I'm waiting until I'm pretty sure we'll be approved.

Beyond that, just read posts here like crazy. You'll want to read as much as you can that's been posted by some of the "regulars" here like Bbauer, breeze, lizardking, hal, saar, Erica, dogman, and, of course, the always entertaining chelechele. See what's worked and for whom. Even research some of the fee-for-service companies that you'll see mentioned. Junum, Lexington Law Firm, and Creditwrench are the most talked about. Then choose your weapons and go for it!

Good Luck!

4. chelechele

chelechele Well-Known Member

Nice post Quixote...now that's the nice way a new person introduces themself. :)

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Welcome A Board.....

Hey - name is Dogman. I joined here from a Chap 13 BK and now have prime cards, including AMEX.
    You are starting from a better place than I did - congrats.

Now - let's get to work. Sam got you off to the best start in both of our opinions - Cap One.

Read advice and ask questions. later -

c ya dogman

6. Quixote

Sssank Yuu!

I have to post a serious one once in a while just to make sure I still can! Now I've met my quota for a while. heh heh heh

7. chelechele

Yeah, now back to shenanigans... :)

8. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

My roommate also is a cccs graduate. She contacted each of her credit card companies that were on the program and inquired if they would reopen the accounts. Most actually did, a few balked, but it is possible.

9. river

river Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group. I would also consider ,if you have to go the secure card route,getting a First Consumers Nat'l Bank visa or mastercard. They will match up to 300-500% of deposit. Actually, this has worked well for me. I got a FCNB visa and m/c and from there I got a unsecure Spiegel,Chevron and Shell card.Can't leave "out" my secure Optima "toy" amex card(which they don't offer anymore).BTW,Shell upped my Limit on card in only one month from $100.00 to $200.00 and with $100.00 cash advance limit. I started out here on this board 11-1/2 months ago with collections,BK and judgements. I was able to dispute and have Bk and judgement removed from all three CRA's.Had only a checking acc't visa ck. card when I got started here and was able to accomplish the rest along the way til now. BTW,hello Dogman;)~ and Chelchele(u r a hoot,now that I got familiar with your style of posting).

10. dnsatt

dnsatt Active Member

Thanks everyone for the info. I have been reading thru some of the old posts and you all seem very knowlegeable and real. I have a few starting points. I got a copy of my cr online from with my credit score....586 arrgh. I see a thing or two that can possibly be removed, duplicate info. I am waiting on the other two. Until I read this board I had no idea that the cra's could have different info. I thought they were all supposed to be the same. How naive! But I am learning. Thanks again everyone for the welcome and the advice.

Yours in search of better credit
    dnsatt

11. KristyW

KristyW Well-Known Member

I also recommend First Consumers Nat'l Bank. They have been around for quite awhile, and while they don't have the best interest rates, they do work with you. In addition to granting you a generous credit line initially as was mentioned, they also will give you back your deposit after you show you pay on time. They then raise the limits on your card gradually.

12. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Follow River's advice - he's on the fast track!
    :) Dogman

13. far gone

far gone Well-Known Member

what is the website for first consumers national bank visa mastercard?

14. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

15. chelechele

16. chelechele

you beat me :p

17. romanduv

romanduv Well-Known Member

18. chelechele

Well, sometimes I have typelexia (te he, typelexia!!! I kill me) and have to edit my posts over and over....hmmmm...maybe I could sue the CRA's for causing mild brain damage...hmmmmm

19. Quixote

dain bramage

20. chelechele

Oh no...I see where this is going....Quixote types one, then so do I .....ummm bad influences on each other.....I have blonde damage...LOL