New Homeowners get taken at closing

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SofaKing, Aug 22, 2001.

1. SofaKing

SofaKing Well-Known Member

2. toromio

toromio Well-Known Member

That is totally ludicrious! That's the same as marking up shipping! In business one can charge for the cost of shipping a product from a to z, but they cannot mark-up the cost, it is illegal. There are companies that try to do this, and when they are cought, ouch. I cannot believe that the 7th curcuit would uphold such a practice. Then again, there isn't a specific "law" on the books prohibiting the practice. We should all take a few moment now to e-mail our respective congressman asking for a lwa to be enacted to protect homeowners from such STINKING practices.

3. SofaKing

SofaKing Well-Known Member

Yep!

I'm thinking the only way to get some measure of fairness is to get the prices of reports and appraisals in writing way before closing. That way it's still a negotiable item.

SK

4. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Why is everyone surprised? They have been doing this for awhile now, at least where I live, here in Virginia. I paid $50 for my credit report (actual cost $15.50). There is a hidden mark-up on everything..credit reports, seller's costs, recording fees, even financing. It is how the lending institution pays for the broker's commission. Do I know I being screwed? Yes. I even questioned the broker and the realtor and was told this is what everybody pays. And it's true. They know I know what the actual cost of an appraisal is as well as the credit report, but I either pay and get the house or not pay and don't get the house. I don't have a choice of getting another broker, because everything in this area charges the same thing. The only good thing I can contest to is that most of it is tax deductible.

Dani

5. MikeB

MikeB Banned

I am applying for an FHA loan right now. Cost for the credit reports is $80.00, and cost for the appraisal is $400.00. If it wasn't for limits by FHA on points (maximum 1 point for origination), I am sure I would be paying even more. Sucks.