New Identity vs. Trying to Rep

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Tim, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Tim

Tim Guest

I had heard from someone today that getting a new identity is easier than trying to repair one's credit.

Is this true? Anyone know how to get a new Social Sec Number legally and just start over?

Would that be how it would work? "Hello social security? I need a new social security number...mine sucks?

2. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Re: New Identity vs. Trying to

Most of these "quick credit repair" methods that you hear about are outdated and/or illegal, especially this "new identity" deal,
    stay away from this kind of advice, it's just not worth it to get involved in something like that.

Re-establishing your damaged credit history takes time but it can definitely be done legally. Hang around this board, you will learn a lot here.

Alex

------------
    Free Credit Tips...
    http://www.Creditinsiders.com

3. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

Re: New Identity vs. Trying to

It's called file segregation; it's illegal. People have gotten caught and have been convicted of both state and federal fraud charges. The worst notation on your credit report can only stick around for ten years and most negatives can only stick around for seven. A felony rap is almost always forever.

4. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

New ssn

actually, you can legally get another ssn in a very few circumstances.

If you're a victim of domestic violence you can get a new ssn (the violence may follow you by using your ssn).

Also there seemed to be some religious objections (eg: 666 in your number sequentially).

those are the only ways I know how to actually apply at the ss office and legally get a new ssn.

The file segregation is illegal if you get an ein or tin and use it in place of your ssn. that could be considered fraud

5. curiouser

Re: New ssn

Yes, there are instances for which a new SSN will be given, but it doesn't help in credit repair. The bureaus will merge the two files so that all the info under the old SSN will appear with the new SSN.

6. Maximus

Maximus Active Member

Re: New ssn

Now if you gained a new SS# legally and then afterwards legally changed your name then you could legally create a new file as long as you didn't state on any new application that you were not known by any other names if this inquiry should come up on an application. As long as you were not attempting to escape debts in this method you would be within the law in most jurisdictions. See www.nolo.com for books on credit and legal name changes. Now I know I will be opening a new can of worms with this but can anybody out there refute this?

Maximus/CR

7. curiouser

name change and SSN

The question on this one will always come back to intent which can be inferred through action.
    If there is no intent to defraud (which is not simply dodging debt, but could also be making a manifest intent to misrepresent your credit history), no problem. If there is intent, that's a whole different ball game.

8. curiouser

Re: name change and SSN

Oops, should have been "manifest attempt" not "manifest intent."