New - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Michelle M, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Michelle M

Michelle M Guest

Hi,

I have been lurking around the board for a few months checking things out and trying to pick up some pointers. I thought I would finally give it a shot and ask some questions. Here goes.

Here is the good news:

FCNB $525.00 LIMIT (partially secured; opened 02/00)
    ARIA $500.00 LIMIT (opened 11/00, no increases yet)
    CAP1 $400.00 LIMIT (limit was $200.00 until 1 week
    ago when I called asking for a limit
    increase; approved $200.00 increase)
    CAP1 $200.00 LIMIT (oldest tradeline opened 06/99 they
    reopened after account was charged
    off. No increases available with
    this type of account. I plan to
    close 06/01.)
    CAP 1 $200.00 LIMIT (opened 12/00; Kmart card. I plan
    to close).

CHEVRON $300.00 LIMIT (opened 10/00. Credit builder
    account.)

AT&T CELL NO LIMIT (opened 07/00. Account began life as
    a $200.00 service limit account.
    After 6 months of excellent
    payments, they dropped the service
    limit)
    CAR LOAN $13000.00 (opened 04/00, horrible interest
    rate. I'd like to refinance)

All of these accounts appear on my credit report as:
    OPEN/NEVER LATE

Now for the bad news:

1. Tons of inquiries (beginning today, I am swearing off
    the stuff!!)
    2. Cross Country Charge off 06/98 (I know, I know. Big
    mistake!)
    3. Capital One Paid chargeoff 07/99.

4. Some small piddly collections, mostly doctor bills between 1997 and 1999 before I got some health insurance.

Ok, here is where I need some advice. I haven't requested my FICO score (I've been too afraid). I want/NEED to do some major cleanup here. I think the inquiries and the collections are killing me. What's the best way to tackle this or where should I begin? I understand that a department store card does wonders for your score, but I can't get anyone to grant me one. Any advice where I could request all three reports at once to begin the cleanup?

Thanks,
    Michelle M

2. TX Mommy

TX Mommy Guest

Hi Michelle! I am not an expert on here like Lizard and Momof3, but I was in your place just a few weeks ago. I ordered my credit report from a company called Confidential Credit. They pulled all 3 bureau's and it is laid out very nicely. It cost $29.95. Now, after religiously reading this board 3 times a day for the past 3 weeks, I found out that I didn't have to pay that much (but it was very convenient). If you go to www.worthknowing.com you can get your credit report from TransUnion for free (no strings attached, really!). Equifax will sell you your report and FICO score on-line for $12.95 (or $9.95 for report only). Just go to www.equifax.com. I did not pull Experian alone because I got that from my "Tri-Report" with Confidential Credit.

Anyway, hope this helps. Everyone on this board has started somewhere (most of us at the bottom :eek:) and we are all here because we want to improve our current credit. Just by taking an interest in your credit is a huge step in the right direction. There are tons of success stories on this board and I intend to be one of them (with a lot of hard work, Junum, and ya'll's help of course!). Good luck and don't be discouraged. It could always be worse!!!!

Tx Mommy