New old scam

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by breeze, Oct 10, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Look at this, LOL. This morning I got an email directing me to this site. Looks like a scam to get bank account info.

What cracks me up is the "domain name" - not a real one, of course.

http://boomslam.com/grant3.htm

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I saw that, ROFLOL. I wonder if his parents know what he is doing.

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

He made the mistake of sending the email via UUnet. It should be down soon. ;)

5. Bill B

Bill B Well-Known Member

Looks like he needs the $ for a maid..

6. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I don't think it's funny at all.
    People are getting ripped off all over the place because they believe in this crap and send in their money hoping to get a grant which isn't going to happen.

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It's being reported, Bill. But in the meantime, it is funny, IMO. This kid named his site "boomslam," it says "secure server" - it isn't, you can see that plain as day.

Then he has the nerve to put his picture up there for all the world to see. Not to mention the fake domain name.

Anybody who has the intelligence to know how to turn a computer on and log onto the internet should know better. I agree, though, greed makes fools of many folks. I doubt this kid will know what to do with the info once he gets it. His parents will probably ground him for the rest of his life.

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that the email header flat out says it was forged.

9. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Oh!
    OK.
    Well that type of scam is running rampant all over the place.
    thanks for the update

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

UUnet is one of the biggest providers in the world. They don't tolerate anything - they pull the account.

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

THIS IS WHAT I GET.........JG2ZA"éâ??ñDo¼'â??2ÃÂ9£`

13. bbauer

bbauer Banned

George:
    Yeah, I got about the same thing.
    Real intelligent, isn't it??
    LOL

14. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I get a picture of some kid in his garage wearing a tie die shirt. Looks like a young Bill Gates.

15. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

y'all are getting gibberish, I think, because you don't have something to view that kind of graphics file. What is ".art" anyway?

16. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

17. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

.art is an AOL specific image file.

He also has an AOL email address.

Did you guys think he might just be selling something, trying to make a buck? Why does it have to be a 'scam' right off the bat?

What are you 'reporting' him for? Sure, he's spamming, but that doesn't mean he is 'scamming' anything or anyone. He's probably just using one of those "Make money at home using your computer" programs you see all over the place. Most of those companies work the same way. You use our email address and 'buy' the email list, they process the 'check', and pay you a commision. Look at the script on his page, the authorization is done at a third-party server, using simple cgi. There's nothing out of the ordinary about it.

It's a true registered domain- it is not 'fake'. All the contact info matches up pretty well.

It might be just a crappy list for $39.95, but at least he's trying. He could just sit around and beg for an allowance.

That guy on TV in the 'question mark' suit sells his grant list for more than $39.95, that's not a scam.

What about the "classified ad' guy, or Carlton Sheets and his real estate program. It's junk, but it's not a scam.

What's the difference?

Shawn

18. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

".art" is a proprietary AOL graphics format. I converted it to a standard jpeg file, so everybody can take a gander at this bozo by clicking here:

http://members.aol.com/macintosh/robby1.jpg

Lordy, lordy, lordy. :)

Doc

19. PsychDoc

PsychDoc Well-Known Member

Wow, while I was doing that, I see breeze beat me to the punch at about the same time. :) Great minds do think alike, lol.

20. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

LOL, Doc. Yeah mine is a gif. Looks like a dweeb to me. Little scammer. What is he, maybe 14 or 15?