New old scam

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by breeze, Oct 10, 2001.

1. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell what server it's on? Is it AOL?

2. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

3. supershawn

supershawn Well-Known Member

thunderer.cwwebhost.com

http://207.155.252.60/boomslam.com/

through the Cable and Wireless Network.

Shawn

4. supershawn

Guys,again.... I don't know that I would be so quick to say 'scam'. That's a pretty serious accusation when you don't know it to be true.

Click this link http://www.google.com/search?q=free+grant+giveaway

Look how many sites sell the same program- some even us the same HTML code. Do you really think these are all scams?

Everything about it checks out. Unless you tried to purchase this item from this 'kid' and he took your money without sending you what he promised- you have no right to say 'scam'.

Now, maybe the product he is selling is 'junk', but that's up to you. I doubt all those infomercial products do everything they appear to on tv, but that doesn't mean they are trying to 'scam' anyone.

This is most likely some kid trying to make money. Good for him. He could just be sitting on his butt begging for allowance.

Shawn

5. supershawn

OK.

So here's the official deal on this site. I don't even know this kid but for some reason I felt like I needed to defend him.

He is using a service from www.1chn.com. It is actually down this morning but you can bring up a cached version if you really want to see for yourself. His refferal id is 3460510267.

If you just view the source of his site you will see for yourself- it wouldn't have even taken much more than that to see what was going on.

Viewing the source will show you the HTML form he posts submits to "http://www.1chn.com@3460510267/cgibin/formmail.cgi"

This is a cgi script, running at www.1chn.com, that processes your 'check'. The 'kid' then get's a commission from every sale.

There is no 'scam' involved at all. It's just a person selling a list of government grants for $39.95. Whether you think it is worth it or not is up to you, but that's an opinion not a crime. The only 'crime' that has been committed here is someone was denied their basic rights of 'innocent until proven guilty'.

He might be a 'spammer', but that's about it.

Sorry, but I would have expected more from a board that tout's Privacy, personal rights, and trying to improve ones position in life.

Shawn

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

So, you advocate sending your bank account info over a server that is not secure? to an adolescent, simply because he has an affiliate number? That means it is not a scam?

7. bbauer

bbauer Banned

I already got burned on this same scam and so have about 4 or 5 other credit net members.

I'snt that enough?

8. supershawn

Breeze-

I did not comment about the security of the site. I agree with you that sending personal info over a non-secure site can be risky.

And I am not recommending anyone to purchase the product- I know nothing about 'cash grants' and would never recommend something I know nothing about. I do know there is no such thing as 'free-money', so I doubt I will be sending my 39.95.

As far as his age, that does not bother me at all. First of all, just because there is a picture in the home directory of his site does not mean it is him. While I am sure it is, we have no proof either way. Second, if I was to say I would not do business with him because of his age, I would be guilty of discrimination. I would never do that.

And I am not directly knocking you- don't take it personally. I am just saying it is not fair -at all- for so many people to call this 'kid' a scammer.

Unless I mis-understand, a scam is where someone deliberately deceives another person in order to profit. I do not think this 'kid' is deceiving anyone. He appears to be just selling a product.

Now- if one of the accusers sent him money and never received amything in return- then I am truly sorry. If not, we have no right to call him a 'scammer'.

Shawn

9. supershawn

Bill-

How did you get burned?

Did you send this 'kid' money and he not respond?

Or, did you buy a 'Grant Kit' and not feel it was worth the money.

I am just wondering what you guys are defining as a scam. Maybe I am wrong by using a different definition.

I am truly not tring to offend anyone.

There is a very similar product for sale on TV and on the internet by the 'Lesko' guy- you know, the one with the question marks all over his jacket. If you do a search on the net or amazon you will see his books and products.

I have seen reviews of his book and a lot of people say the grants are very hard to get they require a lot of paperwork and there are a lot of people after them. But I don't think that makes it a scam.

I am just curious.

Thanks!

Shawn

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

OK, out of curiosity, I put in a bunch of fake information. I was taken to a page where I downloaded a word doc that is the equivalent of a newspaper article about government grants. All of this information is available elsewhere for free.

I won't ever know if they try to take money from a checking account because there is no such account.

The server is not secure, and there is nothing that verifies your information. McAfee says the file is safe to download.

Whatever, Shawn. I would call it a scam. I think it is a kid though, and he may or may not know that it is.

11. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Incidentally, I wasn't trying to steal anything, I was curious what was going to happen when I clicked on "submit."

12. bbauer

bbauer Banned

No, I didn't do business with this kid.
    I bit on the same type of thing from another company who was advertising the same thing.
    $25.00.
    So did the others I am talking about.

And one of those who got bit came up with a newspaper article that was written by a person who is in the "business" of giving out cash grants, but of a different type. He called it a scam too.

I've also heard that the justice department is trying to shut the scam down too.

That's what I know about it.

13. supershawn

breeze-

I know you wouldn't have tried to steal anything. No worries. I am looking forward to getting the email. I just hope the kid doesn't track you down for the $25.00 return check fee! <grin>

I tried to do the same thing but my 'garbage' input was rejected. Maybe they did have a simple algorithm to check email or address length. Also, their server was down this AM so maybe they are having issues. At least we know you did get something for your money- even though it sounds like you got just what you paid for!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

Again, I think the 'debate' here is the use of the word 'scam'. I took it as you guys accusing the kid of trying to steal your checking account info or not producing the goods. I now think you guys are saying 'scam' means the doc is worthless. Just differences of opinion. I was just glad to see a kid trying to earn money instead of witing for a handout!

I just felt bad that the guy was being dragged through the coals without a chance to defend himself. His site is set up as a legitimate refferer to a third party for authentication. The third party is a legitamite e-commerce site. That'a all. I am not commenting on the comment of the doc itself, I haven't even seen it yet. The point is I would hate to see him reported to his ISP when he really might not be doing anything wrong.

Bill- sorry you got burned on yours- at least it was only $25.00. I got burned on an Ebay auction once with a fake money order- 600.00 bucks. Pretty elaborate scheme- real home address (stolen identity) and real routing number on the Money Order from a real bank. My failsafes (now improved, of course) let me down on that one.

BUT, there are legitimate "Gov't Grant' programs out there- one bad apple should not ruin the whole bunch.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140467602/ref=pd_sim_books/102-7244748-1884143
    This guys has been selling his for years. Some people have success, some don't. May be worthless, but I don't think it's fair to call it a scam.

I don't believe in 'free money' myself, I know how hard mine has been to come by!!! Even the 50 bucks I sent you ,Bill! LOL

14. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

UUnet terminates accounts for spamming. I did turn him in to them. He spammed me at an email address which is not posted on the net. It is private and I don't give it to just anyone.

And shawn, legitimate merchants do not say they have a secure server when they don't. I didn't look at any of the other sites for this that used the same html. Are they all like that? Maybe he isn't stealing bank info, but they could be. Who are they using to process? It doesn't say, and I don't see anything. There are services for taking checks, but that's not what this is using.

I didn't take anything personally. I have been an insurance agent too long to have a thin skin. ;)

15. supershawn

Points well taken, breeze.

You know I agree on the spamming.

I think my line of work reflects in the way I posted too.....maybe we should stop letting our jobs control our lives! :)

Shawn

16. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Looks like the kid's website has "permanently moved" to somewhere else and maybe down permanently. The index page is gone and only two other links remain.

One is http://207.155.252.60/boomslam.com/grant3.htm
    and the other is http://207.155.252.60/boomslam.com/robbie1.gif

There are no other links on the website and if there were any other links on the entire site, I would know about it since I can find and track any link on any website anywhere at any time I choose to do so. I can also find any and all orphaned files which means pages that are just there and have no links on them.

So it looks like he may be down for the count.

17. supershawn

Well, either we hurt his feelings, or you guys were right.

(tail between legs)

Breezy, I'll never doubt you again! :)

OR...he had to pay back the commision from breeze's download and it depleated his whole allowance....he took the site down just in case!

OR.....he got a FREE CASH GRANT and is living on an island somewhere vowing to 'never clean his room again!'

Shawn

18. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It's still there. You don't get the site either shawn?

19. supershawn

I didn't try, just took his word for it. I've been too busy getting FREE CASH GRANTS with the special doc. I am sooo glad you qualified for it. I am just upset I have to report my new income to the IRS....

We should probably try to find out more about the third party operating at www.1ch.com (or whatever it was , can't remember now). I'd be curious as to why they aren't using SSL as you pointed out (I wasn't paying attention..really out of it today). AND, why your made up text made it thorugh...not much of a verification process. Wonder if we can view the cgi script and see what it does...it may just be a remailer (wouldn't that be special)....I'll take a look.

Shawn

20. bbauer

bbauer Banned

The grants page is still there, but the index.html page which would have allowed the site to come up is not there.

http://207.155.252.60/boomslam.com/grant3.htm
    The above page is still there, but there is no
    http://207.155.252.60/boomslam.com/index.html
    which would let the page load if all that was typed in was
    http://207.155.252.60/boomslam.com

There is no way I'm going to believe that the kid is smart enough to put up a website and make it come up with a picture and a cgi script leading to a merchant bank account and not have sense enough to put up an index.html page.

And pretty soon I will have a webpage up that will show you exactly what it is that you get for $39.95. I have not analyzed it yet, but I will and then I will put it on a webpage somewhere and put up a reference to it so you can see exactly what it is.

From what I have seen so far, it is nothing more than talking about government grants.

I'll want to cross check it against the book that Lesko sells on the TV too. I also have that one.